Why is it called GOOD FRIDAY?

Please excuse my ignorance in advance. I’m not a religious person. If this question has been asked and answered previously, please direct me to that link.

My question is that on the day Jesus was crucified, I would think that this would be called Bad Friday. I have had numerous varied explanations over the years. Would appreciate hearing what you believe is the reason Good is used to celebrate the day Jesus was murdered.

Because to Christian believers, it is the day that people were saved by the sacrifice of Jesus. Without that act, there is no salvation and all are damned.

I thought it was ‘cause, in English, “God” and “good” both come from the same word root. So it’s really, like, “God Friday”, or somethin’.

tomndebb’s explanation is also the one I was taught. Supposedly, Jesus knew Judas was going to betray him and yet he allowed it to happen. Jesus had to die for the plan to work properly.

More here

I’m a Christian and I’ve always considered Good Friday to be good. I’ve never heard of any mourning over Christ’s death, since he arose just a little bit later.

Did anybody see “The Wizard of Id” comic strip for Friday, 4/13/01? The King of Id is speaking with the local padre and asks “Lemme get this straight. God comes to Earth as one of us…and we kill him?” Reply “That’s right!” The King questions again “Your Lord is dead! There’s a big earthquake, and the curtain in the temple is torn from top to bottom?” “Right again” “What the heck is so Good about that?” “His curtain call” is the final reply.

With evidence like this, I have to wonder how people can question Jonny Hart’s ability to write a funny comic strip.

</sarcasm>

jayjay

orthodox types call it great and holy friday. all of holy week from monday to saturday has great and holy as adj.s.

Let’s see, we’ve got fat tuesday, ash wednesday, maundy thursday (what the heck does that one mean anyway?), good friday, both Palm and Easter sunday. What do we have for Monday and Saturday?

The Saturday before Easter is Holy Saturday.

Maundy is related to mandate/command (through the French, of course), and refers to the portion of the ceremony on Holy Thursday where the celebrant washes the feet of members of the community (traditionally the poor). The “command” aspect comes from the injunction of Jesus to follow Him in being a servant to others.

Had we celebrated that on Monday, of course, we couldn’t trust that day.

I was gonna say Monday’s washday, but as usual, tom comes up with the ultimate.

I once asked one of my “churchy” friends this question. She said that it was carried over from the Romans, who called it Good Friday because they were glad to be rid of him or something. I think she just couldn’t think of as good an answer as tomndebb though.