Why is it called "leap year"?

It seems to me that it is the OTHER years which leap directly from Feb 28 to March 1. So why is THIS year called the “leap” year?

I understood it to be because it caused subsequent fixed-day festivals and calendar events to ‘leap’ forward by one day within the week.

Makes sense! Thanks!

I’ll second that. If there were 364 day in a year the year (364/7 = 52.0) then every annual holiday would fall on the same day of the week. There are normally 365 days which causes an annual holiday to move by one weekday. A rather nice progression that gives every weekday a chance to feel special. :wink:

Go to 366 days and a weekday gets skipped, or leaped that year.

While it doesn’t answer the specific question as to why the name, it WAS a great, concise report by C K Dexter Haven

According to the “Word a Day” Calendar on my desk, a “leap year” in the Julian or Gregorian calendar is called a “bissextile year”, although the name ought to be only applied to the Julian calendar. Apparently the Romans added the extra day after Feb. 24th, not at the end of the month, and called the day *bissextus", meaning “second sixth day” (Feb. 24th is the sixth day before the start of March, and the extra day is the “second sixth” day)

Nevermind. Too easy.