Why is monopoly money technicolour (multi colour)

According to http://www.hasbro.com/monopoly/pl/page.history/dn/default.cfm, monopoly was invented in the US, and the US has money that is all green, so why did the inventor of monopoly create multi colour money, when being in the US all he would have been exposed to was green money?

Wouldn’t it have been more natural for him to create all one colour play money?

(While I’m on the subject of money, I was watching season six (maybe) of MAS*H, and I noticed that they were using all pink money, WTF with that?)

Answers to either Questions would be much appreciated.

Presumably he chose the different colors to make it easier to differentiate between the denominations. I would be surprised if Monopoly was the first game to use play money, so the change can probably not be attributed to the inventor.

During the Korean War soldiers were paid in military scrip :

http://www.sunsetweb.com/korea/k54-5/k5-a.htm

And we all know how insular are the inhabitants of the USA, and not particularly inventive or frivolous :slight_smile:

He didn’t want people trying to use it to buy more Monopoly games.

The money may be the wrong color, but the inventor took great pains to make the houses and hotels as lifelike as possible.

This site has illustrations of the early versions of the tokens, but not of the house/hotels–but I seem to remember that they were just chunks of wood.

That site also has information about the dispute of who actually invented Monopoly.

You have to follow the links a little, but the houses and hotels are there

FYI: ‘Technicolor’ is not an synonym for multi-colored. It sounds like it might be, as would ‘megacolor’ or ‘varicolor’ if they were actual standard words, which they ain’t.

‘Technicolor’ is a made-up term for a particular patented colorization process in cinematography. The term ‘technicolor’ is trademarked.

Peace.

<busily applying for trademarks for ‘megacolor’ and ‘varicolor.’>

Easier for kids maybe? Easier for me too. If I’m the banker, I want to hand out/make change quickly. It’d be a pain at the end of the game to separate all those denominations again and again.

I mean you’d have to separate them anyway, but you can do it a lot quicker with different colors.

Ah thanks pulykamell, that is just like I remember them.

In common usage, it actually has been adopted as a synonym. (cite)

This drives me batty with the “America” version of the game! All the money is the same shade of green. Makes sorting hell.

The houses and hotels were just chunks of wood and the earliest games had no tokens. The inventor intended people to use things they had at home like coins or thimbles or pawns from other games. Some of the early “boards” were also round and cloth to fit on a round table. sigh to be able to add one of those to my collection is a distant fantasy!

Hmmm… my first two dictionary lookups did not uncover that. Upon further investigation, two out of five dictionaries list ‘technicolor’ as a synonym for ‘brightly colored’ (though, not multi- (or many-) colored).

Peace.

Mangetout’s cite was a link to Andrew Lloyd Webber’s webpage on the musical Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat, first produced in 1968, and certainly appeared under that name marketed as a followup to Jesus Christ Superstar. It’s a rockopera about the biblical story of Joseph and his coat of many colors.

Indeed; there is another term in common usage (primarily in Australia, I believe) - Technicolor Yawn (meaning To Vomit), which is sort of a reference to multiple colours.

I do also believe that the dictionary references you mention probably mean or imply multicoloured, even though they only explicitly say brightly coloured (as one might describe a parrot or butterfly as brightly coloured, to mean that it carries multiple bright and possibly contrasting colours), but lets not labour this silly point any further.

I would have to think the money is multi-colored simply for the ease of seperation. I suppose the real question is why does the US only use green?