Why is my insurance company doing this?

For the past 4 months, every month, my insurance company has sent me a packet to have the registrar of the school im attending sign and put the school seal on.

I imagine its to confirm im in fact full time, but why every single month? I’ve basically had to bother the registrar 4 times to confirm the same thing over and over, its kind of embaressing.

I got my fifth packet in the mail today, i’m pretty fed up with this. Should i call and ask them what they are trying to accomplish?

My provider is UMR if anyone is familiar.

I’m going to take a shot in the dark.

You’re a college student, still listed as a dependent on your parent’s insurance.

Your parent, the one with the job that had the insurance, recently changed employment somehow, and is now continuing coverage under the COBRA act.

Since the insurance companies hate COBRA with a white hot passion, they tend to deal with it by ending coverage and starting coverage over and over on a monthly basis, hoping that the extra trouble they are putting your parent (and, by extension, you) may encourage you to find coverage elsewhere. Since you are, in essence, restarting coverage over and over again, you have to do the “I’m a full time student so I can still be on my parent’s insurance” thing over and over, too.

I saw this situation many times as a retail pharmacist.

That’s my guess, anyway.

Makes sense, but not really my situation. My father has had the same employer and insurance for years and years…at least 10.

That is so crazy it just might work. I had a similar situation where my wife’s benefits kept getting denied because they claimed I hadn’t returned a form about other coverage she might have. When I called the form I had sent in weeks before was suddenly found.

You shouldn’t have to do this more than once a year, or once a semester at most. I’m willing to go out on a limb and say that the form you’ve been sending in has not been recorded into their system, so something is triggering it to automatically send out another one. I’d call (or have your father call) the insurance company to make sure they’ve got the form.