Why is my room so hot?

Another possibility is to have the door undercut so that will flow across the bottom of the door. If the door is sealed when it’s shut, then you can use a plane to open an air gap between the carpet and the door.

How about two baby gates stacked vertically in the door, putting the topmost one with the closing latch inside the room? That would be a cat barrier, but not an air barrier. (And it would save the aggravation of repairing a cat-damaged screen door.) You could probably pick up baby gates at a secondhand store also. ETA: The idea of undercutting the door might require a way to put attach a flap to block out drafts in the winter though? Maybe not, since heat and cool come through the ceiling vents? :confused:

This is the solution we ended up going with–or are in the process of going with, anyway. I bought one baby gate last night and we installed it on the bottom half of the door. It worked like a charm–except that the spaces between the bars were just wide enough for the cats to get their heads through, but not wide enough for their shoulders. The largest cat poked her head through and had a little trouble getting it back out again. Even with the door shut, there was still room for them to do it, and I had visions of one of them poking through when I wasn’t home, getting startled by something, and breaking their neck trying to get out in a hurry. I know it’s paranoid, but I love my cats and would never do anything to risk their injury. So…

…back to the baby store (or maybe the pet store) for a couple of less attractive but much more cat-safe versions, which should work out quite nicely.

Thanks for all the suggestions, everyone! :slight_smile:

depending on your doorway width… perhaps a storm window?

i have an older home with those lovely odd sized door openings. there is a room that i need to keep the furry girls out of due to reno; but like the doors open due to air flow and most important sunlight.

it turns out the old storm windows and screens (replacing with lovely triple panes) fit into the doorway perfectly! they are too high for the girls to jump over (one is a champion jumper) and they can see what is going on in the room. (they tell me what they think of that situation.)

Had a 2 story house with similar issues. I did get an small cooling fan like for computers and put it in the vent to suck more air from the system into the far room. An HVAC expert a few years later did find that the ventwork had many issues and fixed them when the furnace was replaced.