Why is religion exempt from federal Truth in Advertising laws?

Shouldn’t religion be held to, at a minimum, the same Truth in Advertising standards as “junk food”, or be required to have a Mental Health Warning on its packaging and advertising?

It’s not that religion is exempt from truth in advertising laws; it’s that they’re not relevant. What you’re asking is roughly analogous to asking why laptops aren’t required to be labeled as to their trans fat content.

Please explain how religion, from the perspective of those who market it, is different from any other product that is being sold to the American consumer.

Can you point to any case where a religious TV ad makes any claims that would fall afoul of truth in advertising?

As far as I can tell, most religious ads are akin to university ads or used car ads - long on subjective opinions, short on statements of absolute fact that can be judged on their own merits.

It’s a ‘product’ - with packaging? Got any examples?

Since the OP is evidently seeking a debate rather than asking a factual question, let’s move this over to Great Debates.

Colibri
General Questions Moderator

Please explain how laptops, from the perspective of those who market them, are any different from any other food sold to American consumers.

From what I can tell, advertisements for religions ARE held to the same Truth in Advertising standards as junk food, and they DO have the same Mental Health Warning on their advertising as idiotic television shows have.

We’ll be happy to continue this discussion, but you’ll have to be more specific and give some examples of what you’re referring to, or else the discussion will lead nowhere.

Thank you, Colibri, for taking my factual question and arbitrarily deciding to turn it into a ‘debate’. I thought this message board might be the one place on earth where I could get straight answers to serious questions, without someone making assumptions about my motivations.

Please delete the question. I will go elsewhere for answers.

There is no factual answer to your question. It’s a political issue and subject to personal opinion.

We’ll miss you!!

The factual answer is that the FTC Act doesn’t apply to non-commercial activity, which includes religion.

That “Please delete so that I can pretend it never happened” stuff?
They don’t do that here.

In what way was it a serious question? I and several other posters have asked you to explain yourself.

If you can demonstrate that religion is NOT being held to those standards, then I’m confident that Colibri will move the thread back to GQ.

Interesting point. That’s why it is so important for the OP to clarify the question. If the issue is advertising which asks people to merely follow a religion, then your point is well taken. But if the issue is advertising which asks people to donate, that’s a whole nother story.

But the OP is asking whether or not it “should” be. Sure, the thread title ask why religion is exempt, but it’s clear from his post(s) that he doesn’t think it “should” be.

I would definitely like to see a cite for that being a large factor when it comes religious advertising.

I doubt asking for donations counts as commerce for the purposes of the FTC, but it is possible. I’ll take a look.

I can’t recall every seeing a religious advertisement that asked for money, but that’s not to say they don’t exist.

I see your point, the OP contains both a factual question (“Why is religion exempt from federal Truth in Advertising laws?”) and a debate topic (“Shouldn’t religion be held to, at a minimum, the same Truth in Advertising standards as “junk food”, or be required to have a Mental Health Warning on its packaging and advertising?”)

I’ve already answered the former (because it’s non-commercial speech), for the latter, I answer - No, because it’s not comparable to a commercial product like junk food.

Anyone who thinks that organized religion (in America) is NOT ‘business’ is not being objective. It clearly follows a standard business model, has a product about which it makes promises, engages in active public marketing, makes distinctions between itself and its competitors, has local and regional salespeople, and solicits payment in exchange for its product.

One critical difference between religion and other products is that if religion fails to deliver on its product promises, the consumer is invariably blamed for ‘using it incorrectly’, and there is no appeal.

The only thing that keeps religion from being legally ‘non-commercial’ is a DEFINITION. For all practical purposes, organized religion is a commercial enterprise.

OK, please provide examples of the “active public marketing” or advertising done by religions that makes promises.