WhY is Six Flags Not Six Flags (Truely Pointless)

Spain
France
Mexico
Republic of Texas
Confederate States of America
United States of America

http://www.lsjunction.com/facts/6flags.htm

Here in Denver Elitch’s was Elitch’s for 50 years. When SIx flags bought it and named it six flags over Elitch Gardens, Everybody now calls it Elitch’s(and always will dadgumit :slight_smile: )

Being in my Mid Twenties, I remember the point when Six Flags was owned by time Warner, the first trip there that I remember I remember hugging Sylvester and pointing out the roadrunner the coyote and getting really pissed when he didn’t run after him only to fall off a cliff.

Damn stuck up coyote.
:mad:

Well, you are right in that the metro Cleveland park is call “World of Adventure,” but I had not really realized that because nobody calls it that, either–just Six Flags.

The Big Guy wrote about this, too.

Like Jeff Olsen said.
Great America in Chicago was originally Mariott’s Great America.
It later was bought and became Six Flags Great America.
We just kept calling it Great America.

I think the one near here is officially Six Flags: Darien Lake, but I’ve always just heard it called Darien Lake. I’m pretty sure it was an independent park before Six Flags bought it, too, so that would explain it.

I’m not sure that’s the same “Great America” park here in Chicago … I mean, look at the pictures. The place looks clean. That can’t be it. :wink:

From this fan site, which looks pretty well-researched, it appears that Six Flags Great America was built by one Warner LeRoy and acquired by Six Flags in 1977. Six Flags the corporation has a pretty convoluted history as I recall, and the corporate website doesn’t have much to say about it - hmm. A Six Flags Astroworld website mentions some of the transactions - almost falling into bankruptcy, rescue by Time Warner, then in 1998, sale by Time Warner to something called Premier Parks - which promptly renamed itself Six Flags Corporation.

The company’s most recent 10-K gives a clue, though, to the name changes:

Astroworld, in Houston, was bought out by Six Flags in 1976. Although it was still referred to as just Astroworld for many years afterward. Only in the last 10 or so years has Six Flags been saying “Six Flags” Astroworld. I think now they are trying to phase out the “Astroworld” part. But us locals who grew up with it still call it by its original name.

Well, they are from about 20 years ago. :slight_smile: