So what do you think about the Willis Tower?

:rolleyes: Next thing you know they’ll be saying Pluto isn’t even a planet anymore…

You say tomato, I say tomahto. Everyone knows it takes diff’rent strokes…

whutchutalkinbout?

If they named Pluto “Harry”, the analogy might actually be an analogy.

The analogy merely was pointing out change. : p One thing being called something all your life and then changing.

Since the OP didn’t provide a link: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090716/ap_on_re_us/us_sears_tower

ETA–apparently they changed the name of the Sears Tower in Chicago to the Willis Tower.

Well as a born-and-raised Chicagoan I plan to go right on ahead calling it the Sears Tower.

Who the heck buying ‘naming rights’ to a building anyway?

Alrighty then, the best view in Chicago is now from the Willis Tower. Why? It’s the only place in downtown Chicago where you can’t see the Willis Tower.

It will always be the Sears Tower, and if you don’t like it, you can fight me at Comiskey.

Didn’t Willis Tower star in Shaving Private Ryan?

That’s stupid. The Willis Tower is in L.A.!

If someone said Comiskey Park I’d know it was/used to be in Chicago. I have no idea what it is now, so that at least is a brand that has some resonance.

Hmph. At least when Canadian National Railways sold the CN Tower, the new owners kept the initials (even if they said that they stood for something else).

On the other hand, the SkyDome was sold and renamed to the Rogers Centre; but then everyone continued calling it simply The Dome.

Well the renamed the Standard Oil Building -> Amoco Oil Building -> Aon Center

And we renamed Marshall Fields -> Macys

And we renamed Comiskey Park -> US Cellular Field

We renamed all of our subway lines so they are named after colors

Chicago is still called “Second City,” though it hasn’t been the second largst city in the US since around 1980.

We know names are meaningless

Well the renamed the Standard Oil Building -> Amoco Oil Building -> Aon Center

And we renamed Marshall Fields -> Macys

And we renamed Comiskey Park -> US Cellular Field

We renamed all of our subway lines so they are named after colors

Chicago is still called “Second City,” though it hasn’t been the second largst city in the US since around 1980.

We know names are meaningless

Right, and in Houston the former Transco Tower (tallest tower in the US not in a downtown area) is now the Williams Tower, while the Astros Minute Maid Park used to be called something else as well. Nobody quite seems to remember what, though.

I normally hear ‘Sox Park’.

I always thought that Wrigley field was a stupid stupid name. Named after gum.
And when it was being built “Sears Tower” was a similar insult to the city. They all wished someone classy like Tiffany had started in Chicago.

In Detroit, I could be proud of the then-tallest Penobscot Building, named for an Indian tribe, like many of the towns and counties.

It will always be the Sears Tower, but I am glad they’re showing Wesley some support.