Why Is the 'Ode to Joy' the Default National Anthem?

Well, yeah, they have them. But in some places it’s a major part of their national identity, and in other places it’s more like the national tree- something that exists on paper and in ceremonial functions, but not something that has much relevance to the average Joe.

According to Wiki (which of course is the final word on everything in the universe), The Greek anthem was adopted as the Cypriot anthem by order of the Council of Ministers in 1966.

Going back to two Bruce Willis Movies:

Die Hard used “Ode to Joy” as the basic building block of the theme because the ‘terrorists’ were european or had some EU connection.

In Die Hard 2, the them was based on Finlandia (another national anthem) because (I assume) it took place in a LOT of snow.

(Sadly, Die Hard with a Vengence broke the national anthem jokes. It had “When Johnny Comes Marching Home”, I assume, because John McClain is FINALLY operating in his home of NYC.

After Michael Kamen died another composer was selected and Die Hard music beame formulaic)

I thought the default anthem was “Rock and Roll Part 2”.

Damn you that’s the one I was going to post. And now I’m scared because we think alike.

Hopefully not anymore.

Why?* Seriously?!?*

Because Beethoven’s Ninth Symphony is the single greatest piece of music ever written in the history of humanity (and written by a composer who was totally deaf*!*). According to sources, after its premiere (where the deaf Beethoven had to be gently turned around to see the audience’s wild response) it was also recorded that the thundering applause went on for so long that it was almost considered sacrilegious. Only royalty was ever given such ovations, and this was exceeding those. If you can watch this and not feel something significant, I’d check to see if you have a pulse… :smiley:

Well, now, let’s not go overboard. There’s this little contender… :wink:

Hey, I know that guy - the conductor in the clip you linked to. He’s married to my godfather’s daughter. Weird.

I think that means he’s your godbrother in law.

The thing about B’s 9th is that it sounds a lot more dignified than The Merry Go Round Broke Down, and countries like that dignity stuff.

And you know who else used it as a National Anthem?
(ducks and runs)

Actually it isn’t, though it has its legend in the history of Finnish nationalism, and makes a good hymn tune. Apparently custom favoured what is currently used.

A good national anthem has to be capable of being sung reasonably well by people who don’t normally sing, but resistant to mangling by people who fancy they can, so musically not too wide a range, with some sort of emotional climax in the resolution, and psychologically not too long and wearying. And then there’s the words…

The original Stadium Music, many decades before Freddie et al :slight_smile: And, unlike other such pieces, it has kumbaya lyrics.

You party-poopers always bring up that one little mistake…

Personally, I’d like to see them use “Polk Salad Annie” for the default anthem. Just for the part where everyone has to go, “UNH!”

Next you see him, tell him he made a Yank very happy! I absolutely adore that bit of Tommasini/Scarlatti, and he brought off a sterling performance!

It will be sung at my funeral with the “Sing With All The Saints In Glory” lyrics.

Your lyrics inspired these lyrics. You’re to blame here, really.

We are winners, you are losers, we are good and you are bad!
We are smart and you are stupid, we feel good and you are sad!
We got top prize, it’s really golden, you wish you had it, but you don’t!
Our team’s the best, your team’s less good, we make you look like a dolt!

There. A national anthem perfectly adapted to the Olympics.

(You made me read music to do that. I hope you’re happy. You monster.)

They should use We Can Rule You Wholesale

I vote for the 1812 Overture. It’s got cannons. CANNONS!