Why is there no Parmesan cheese in Eggplant Parmigiana?

The other white meat: Caucasian Shashlik

Count yourself lucky. Parmesan fellates with great alacrity. :slight_smile:

They don’t make baby oil by cold-pressing babies, either.

Speaking of, is there such a thing as extra virgin baby oil?

Or, as Rachael Ray would say, EVBO!

As said before, “Parmigiana” does not implicitly imply it’s made with Parmesan cheese, anymore than prosciutto di Parma implies a ham with Parmesan. What you would think it means is “in the style of Parma.” However, it’s not a dish that is known in Parma, as far as I understand, and one of the theories is that the Southern Italians/Sicilians corrupted the word parmiciana.

Not in my experience. Even the frozen veal parms I see around here are made with veal patties.

ETA: Here are the labeling laws for pre-packaged foods (not restaurants.) It’s labeled “veal parmigiana” it must be made of veal, and the final product (sauce, cheese, breading) must contain 40% veal.

This is a joke, right?

All these jokes about Parma, one would think Gloulardi’s back on.

Although it’s a popular theory, the idea that the word derives from the Sicilian word for shutters is probably wrong. I was just looking through the cookbook Bake Until Bubbly by Clifford Wright, and he relates a more plausible history.

As he tells it, the earliest mention (14th Century) of something resembling the dish in is in “Il Saporetto” by Simone Prudenzani and uses Parmigiano cheese. A Neapolitan cookbook from 1786 (Il cuoco galante by Vincenzo Corrado) mentions eggplant cooked “alla Parmegiana” . That is described as eggplant seasoned with spices and grated Parmigiano cheese, and then covered in a cream and egg yolk sauce before baking.

The word for shutters in Sicily was not ‘parmigiana’ or ‘parmiciana’ but ‘palmigiana’, and thus would have to have been corrupted into the modern word. ‘parmiciana’ actually means “Persian” and has been floated as another alternative, since eggplant came to Italy from that region, but I don’t think any similar recipe exists in Persian cooking.

What seems clear is that it is highly unlikely that the dish originated in Parma itself, instead of being named after one of its products.

I recall reading somewhere that the dish was an invention by Italian-Americans for the restaurant crowd, and not really of Italian origin otherwise. I don’t recall where I saw that, but it was recently.

Also, think of eggplant parm along the same lines as wienerschnitzel in terms of ingredients. There are no Austrians in the latter, and no parm in the former.

Are people still missing the point here?

Parmigiana is the style of the preparation (be it tied to a region or not), not to be confused with Parmesan cheese.

It’s definitely of Italian origin, but I think the most common Italian American preparation was modified. This cookbook says breading specifically is an Italian American feature. Probably a valid comparison would be pizza.

Philster, the difficulty is that a highly plausible theory for the name is that the “original” or at least early versions of it were in fact named for the cheese (which is named for the region). That it has (possibly) shifted away from that doesn’t mean it reverts to being named after the region, it’s just an artifact of the old name. There’s a lot of evidence that it comes from southern Italy and not much that it has anything to do with Parma except for one ingredient, which is no longer a highlight of it.

Turn blue, knif!

Lemme get this straight…So you guys are like sayin’, that like, there’s no lady or fingers in Lady Fingers? Man, no phalanges, or nuttin’?

I suppose next you’ll all tell me that eggs don’t grow from plants?

When this is the case it’s labeled “imitation crab” or “krab”.

which is fish w/ crab flavoring chemically created in Patterson, NJ.