Why isn't Google Earth restricted?

If you zoom in close enough, it will also show you who is responsible for taking the aerial imagery. For example, in my neck of the woods, this NYS GIS. Look at the orthoimagery, assembled from aerial photographs, and then at Google maps - they are identical.

I read in Google Earth Community that pictures like this one of Tinker AFB tell the viewer that an airplane was used to take the picture.

As it flew over taking photos, it matched the speed of the airplane taking off, resulting in multiple exposures.

As they explained it, a satellite would not have created that effect.

Images taken from planes are normally corrected via a process called orthoimagery in order to be used by geographic information systems such as Google Earth. So they would look as if they were straight on. It is a common process; I have dealt with it often in my job.

your links don’t work except for the last one.

If you look at my examples above you can see that Bing transitions from satellite USGS to aerial view via Pictometry International. If you move around the satellite views you’ll see clouds at some point and the pictures are relatively contiguous as you move around and change angles of orientation. However, if you go down to bird’s eye level the information is in strips that overlap and change perspective as you transition from strip to strip as well as from angle of orientation. You don’t always have views taken from all 4 points of the compass. Sometimes it’s only done East/West or North/South. Each strip is broken down electronically into smaller strips so depending on where you are within a strip will dictate your ability to maintain the same perspective.

As an example, you can move around the image of Falkirk Wheel in Scotland. If you move towards the tunnel connected to the Falkirk wheel aqueduct the image switches to the next strip. Using your arrow keys it’s easy to see the boundaries of the strips before they switch to the next one.

While some of the images in Google Earth may be done by aircraft they are not done at bird’s eye level as you see on bing. they are much higher in altitude.

I had to blow the dust off my old mechanical drafting book to look up the various geometric projections being mentioned here. My WAG is the Bing Bird’s Eye Views are classified as oblique perspectives.

I’m still muddling thru axonometric, dimetric, trimetric and isometric perspectives. I’ll report back later…