Why July to me? (Mini rants)

On Facebook Marketplace if my item is still listed for sales it’s still fucking available!

I hate all the triggered is this still available messages, oh and don’t ask for my address and say you’ll be on your way when you don’t even know what I’m selling! Fucking crankpots!

And Dear sweet little old lady selling her bike, honey figure out what the hell you got, your step through cruiser bike will not have 48 gears I guarantee you!!! And you say you’re 5’2" but the bike frame is 28" and it should fit me because the seat goes up and down, lol! Not a bad deal for an aluminum frame Specialized but jeez o Pete wtf size is it really!!!?

Piggybacking off general tech rants, we recently joined Paramount Plus streaming service because we wanted to watch the latest Trek. The app is next to worthless. It crashes in the last two minutes of every episode without fail. For $10/month they can’t even create a working app?

Also the rest of their selection is balls. It’s reality TV and soapy dramas and shit.

I have way too many streaming services. This one’s only going to last until I’ve exhausted the selection of Trek.

Might as well pile on the streaming app hate. WTF is up with the HBOMax app? Seems like every five minutes or so it pauses to buffer for 15-20 seconds before continuing. I don’t have this problem with Netflix, Amazon Prime, or Disney.

Here too! ATT says they’ll slow down data if we go over 100gb but we’re at half that. Idkw?

I must admit, Star Trek Picard is :fire::fire::fire:

So I guess it’s worth the shitty app.

Lower Decks is awesome too. Which reminds me, I need to check to see if our CBS All Access subscription rolled over to Paramount before August 12. Season 2 is coming!

Fuck writers and their smug gatekeeping bullshit. I’m a member of a Sci-fi Writer Facebook group with a founding member who takes artistic negging to an art form. I don’t think she’s capable of making a comment that isn’t a subtle put down in some way (but always followed by a winky face! That makes it okay, right?)

Someone posted a meme to the effect of “I know my work is done when I can no longer stand to look at it.” A pretty common sentiment among writers.

What did she say? “If you have to rewrite it so much that you feel that way, maybe you’re pursuing the wrong art form.”

Fuck you, you smug condescending bitch. I spent six years on my first novel because it is my passion and because I feel compelled to push myself to reach my absolute maximum potential. I’ve dumped years into my education as a writer and while the learning curve is steep, I find it difficult because I know I am capable of writing some really compelling stuff and I am holding myself to a higher standard than most. I’m getting faster and increasing my competence significantly, but even if my next book took sixty one damned years it would never invalidate my right to be as picky about my work as I goddamned feel like.

The thing that’s so revolting about this sentiment is that it leaves no room for beginners. Apparently if you can’t pull a novel out of your asshole in twenty minutes you shouldn’t even bother to become a writer.

A tactic I haven’t seen before to get you to take a business survey - guilt you into it. This is from Lowe’s, which I decided not to use to replace our water heater.

“For every completed survey, we make a donation to Wounded Warrior Project or Building Homes for Heroes.”

*we can take some of the extra $$ we would have spent on the Lowe’s installation to increase our annual donation to Freedom Service Dogs.

My mini-rant is the existence of those charities. I’m going to assume that they do good work, most of the money goes to veterans and their families, etc.

That said - if we’re going to send people off to war and get them injured (physically and/or mentally), the damn government should be taking care of their needs such that people don’t need to donate additional dollars to see that they are taken care of.

Ok, writer lady apologized and now I feel guilty for excoriorating her here. I think she’s just one of those people who doesn’t understand how she’s coming off sometimes. Usually we can work out our differences.

Hey, let us know when it’s done and published. There are a couple of novelists I learned about because they post here and I’ve become fans of them. People who post to the SDMB tend to write pretty good fantasy/sci-fi novels for some reason.

And I’m not looking for free copies either, those Dopers got my cash as they deserved.

Found a new asshole indicator.

Was at the Nashville zoo this weekend (small but nice, you can pet goats and kangaroos). The small meant you saw the same folks a lot, including the little man with t-shirt with a black and gray rainbow shape on it with the word “STRAIGHT”.

I’m not even sure what that’s supposed to mean. Seems like it could be mistaken for an ally thing. Poor messaging.

Hmm, I don’t like that shirt because it sounds like it is shaming straight people. As if a heterosexual can’t appreciate or even comprehend colors or diversity. I’m a straight man and I think colors are beautiful. That shirt is offensive. :frowning:

Ok a suspicious mass was found in my breast after the yearly mammogram. Now I have to fret for two weeks until they can do a follow up. Slowly breath in and out…

I have been seeing the same doctor for almost 20 years and have always been happy with her. Last year, her practice was bought out by Optima Medical and I wasn’t happy with some of the changes, but also know that things change.

As it happens, one of the changes is that if your doctor leaves their practice you are not notified until after you have tried for almost a week to have your blood pressure refilled and finally manage to get through the phone tree to talk to a person. I also learned that my meds would not be refilled until I saw a different doctor in that practice and the first appointment was on the 18th.

my god old people on the internet piss me off … Now here’s the article … the show is meh … I’ve watched it occasionally but i was waiting for a place to send me some info i needed

What disappoints me as a human is the comment section… if anyone under age 55 posted anything im surprised

Hugs to you. Waiting is hard.

nm posted to wrong window

I doubt young people watch that show. Old people like boring TV programming. Matlock, JAG, Big Brother.