Why no microwave ovens for lefties?

I moved into a new apartment at the beginning of this month (February 2023, for all you internet archeologists in the far future). It’s a nice little place, with the standard kitchen appliances built in. I have a concern about the microwave oven, though. It’s installed above the electric range, and is such a perfect fit that it touches a cupboard on the right and is one-half inch from a wall on the left. And the left side is where the door hinge is. The control panel is on the right, and takes up about six inches of the front of the appliance.

Where it becomes a problem is that the door only opens about sixty degrees before it begins touching the wall. I can get it to open about seventy-five degrees, if I don’t mind it making a squeaky-rubby noise as it contacts the wall. But I do mind. At work, I deal with machines on which squeaky-rubby noises are an indicator of a problem that needs correcting, so I’m pre-disposed to think this issue needs correcting, too. Besides which, I have (only moderately-controlled) hand tremors, such that I REALLY WANT my oven door to open a full ninety degrees when it comes time to remove a hot item.

I expressed my concern to the leasing office two days ago, and yesterday the chief of building maintenance paid me a call. He confirmed that 75 degrees was the limit for door opening, and admitted that he was stumped to think of a way to get this device repositioned for a fully-opened door solution. He also opined that current door-opening capabilities were probably adequate for my needs, and that the management preferred to install pretty much identical appliances in all the units, although he raised the idea of possibly obtaining a smaller microwave, and installing it in place of my current one. I asked if they could get mirror-image oven, with the control panel on the left and the door-hinge on the right. He whipped out his smartphone and searched for microwave ovens with the door hinged on the right.

His search was unsuccessful. Apparently, ALL microwave ovens open toward the door hinge on the left. So my question is: why is this so? Why don’t ANY microwaves get built to meet the needs and preferences of the left-handed among us? I recognize that the manufacturers can’t simply engineer them to allow assembly with the door oriented from either side, like some refrigerators, on account of the control panel needing to stay in one place, but is it too much to ask that people whose kitchens are constructed the way mine is be accommodated?

That’s my question, and if my basic assumption is faulty; that is, if such microwave ovens DO exist, I’d be gratified to learn about them. Under the right circumstances, I’d even be willing to buy my own, and ask the leasing office to have it installed.

Mods, I dithered a little about where this thread should go. If appropriate, please redirect it, with my thanks.

Home Depot has a bunch of microwaves that feature a pull-down door. Not the reverse that you are looking for, but they might be better than what you’ve got.

They also have left to right models, but the photos all show right to left, so I am unsure about them.

You could make a microwave that opens from the other side, but it would require making a whole new chassis. You can’t just flip the door hinges around like you can with a refrigerator.

Poking around on Google it appears that Kenmore used to make one, but it didn’t sell very well so they dropped it. So that’s your main reason right there. The microwave manufacturers won’t sell enough of them to make them worth their while.

If I’m picturing your installation correctly, you say there is a wall immediately to the left of the microwave. If that’s correct, it seems to me that having the hinge on the right would make it quite difficult to access the interior of the microwave. The door would be partially in the way, even if it opened to 90 degrees, and you can’t position yourself farther to the left because the wall is in the way.

In truth the limiting choice wasn’t “hinge on the left”. It was “microwave up again a wall”.

Nah, the wall, such as it is, only extends about eight inches past the front of the microwave. It “separates” the kitchen area from the front entry.

For an over the range model, I’d think a swing-up door would be more convenient. At least, that’s my perspective from a not-particularly-tall guy. Something like:

Almost nothing is made with those of us who are left-handed in mind, so why would microwaves be any different?

It’s all part of an evil plot to remove left-handers from the gene pool. If they can’t operate a microwave they can’t eat their mac and cheese. If they can’t eat, they die. That’s what the righty fascists wanted all along.

Ich bin Rechtshänder Faschist!! :stuck_out_tongue:

Our built-in microwave slot is suboptimal for right-handed people, with the divider separating it from the range partially blocking access from the right, so I typically operate controls with my left hand. Did an evil lefty design the kitchen remodel performed before we bought the place?

The OP’s problem, as noted, seems to be too cramped a space for a microwave oven. Have they generally gotten larger over the years?

If I had the wherewithal, I would get a Federal law passed forbidding placement of microwave ovens in that location.

I would sleep a lot better tonight, kaylasdad99, if you would finagle that appliance out of its present cubbyhole and find it a space on your kitchen counter.

As a pure lefty (none of this “but I play golf right handed” bullshit), I’ve suffered the indignities of things like scissors, spiral notebooks and writing desks.

But I must admit that the placement of a microwave door never offended my handedness.

Since you brought it up, how much more expensive is a set of L-H clubs?

Good question. Mine were a Xmas gift from years ago.

Part II: can you buy them “off the rack,” or are they (always?) custom made?

My husband and daughter are both lefties - neither one has ever complained about the microwave. I wouldn’t expect them to, since I have no more difficulty opening the cabinets with the hinge on the right than I do opening the ones with the hinge on the left.

The one thing my husband does complain about is the dryer - which has the hinge on the right. But the problem with that isn’t really the hinge- it’s that the hinge is on the right side of the door and the washer is to the right of the dryer.

In my limited experience (I’m not really an avid golfer), the golf shops will have less of a selection of left handed clubs, but usually some. Good luck though going to a range and renting some clubs to use - you may be lucky if they find something in the back you can try.

Mmmmmmm! Open-faced club sand wedge!

Thanks for letting me chaw yer ear.