Why no more swing-wing and (U.S.) delta-wing warplanes?

Last I’d heard, all F-111, EF-111, and FB-111 variants had been completely withdrawn from front-line USAF service and placed in storage (though the RAAF may still be flying theirs regularly. The B-1B may be a bit of a hangar queen, but I do still see them occasionally around here (Tinker AFB, OK where the depot service on all USAF bomber aircraft is one). The B-52 and C-5 may be loud, but nothing around here quite matches the sound of 4 F110’s in afterburner, except maybe two F-15’s or four F-16’s doing a formation takeoff.

Is the navy not flying them anymmore? They’ve been out of production for some time - Grumman Iron Works is no longer in the airplane business, sad - but F-14s are still going AFAIK.

Johnny LA is right, the swing wings are automatically controlled by computer but there is a manual lever by the throttles that are probably never touched. IIRC the wings fully spread are 23º and sweep back to 68º. On deck they can be put in a 72º oversweep which puts the wing tips even with the tips of the stabilators. F-14s also have no ailerons as they have full span flaps. Spoilers are used for roll control at low speeds along with differential stabilators that act as ailerons. There have been a few instances of assymetrical sweep, both wings not in the same position due to a malfunction in the hudraulic actuators. This is called X-wing condition and in one case it required a barricade landing on the carrier.

The F-22 (still only in prototype stage) was originally a delta wing but was modified to a separate tail section to meet performance requirements.

Another feature of new fighter aircraft wings is dynamic control of the wing’s cross-section. The actual shape of the wing changes to meet operating conditions, reducing the need for flaps, etc. I don’t know if this technology is used in any current or planned aircraft but I know it has been flight tested. Again, the purpose is enhanced stealth and maneuverability.

Padeye, Yes the F-14 is still in service. But it can’t last forever. What I meant was that when the time finally comes for the F-14 fleet to be retired, I’ll be sorry to see them go.

Does the Navy have a replacement for the F-14 in the works?

~~Baloo

… and that’s why they call it the Joint Strike Fighter.

???

I had thought that the JSF was a replacement for the F/A-18, not the F-14.

~~Baloo

Actually, you are more correct than wrong :wink:

The “replacement” for the Tomcat are the new Super Hornets. (The Es). The JSF is quite a different animal, but will be more suited for the F/A-18C role, in addition to being quite stealthy.

The reason I said “supposed” to replace the F-14s, is that it is quite questionable in some circles if they can. And even if possible, if the money is anywhere near worth it. There was quite a scandal a few years back with F-14 upgrades ceasing to promote the Super Hornet. That is when the tooling got destroyed. It was quite questionable since the Bombcat was quite promising (and is) and other future upgrades were then moot…like Tomcat 21.

Since there is now a finite number of airframes, the Navy has no choice but to accept the Super Hornet.

Once we retire the Tomcat, will we have any platforms left capable of carrying the AIM-54 Phoenix? I kind of hate to give up an air-to-air missile with almost double the range of any competitor.

I am not aware if the F18E/F could be modified to accept it or not. I have done a bit of looking and haven’t found an ounce suggesting that it could. I would presume the possible forthcoming F18G wouldn’t use it either, as it is more of a support/Jamming craft and interception wouldn’t be its mission.

Sooooo, nope. It doesn’t look that way. They will presumebly retire the Phoenix at the same time or before they axe the cats.