Why No More US Trolley Mfgs.?

Last week, I took a trolley ride for the first time in years (I live outside Boston). The GREEN LINE, which runs from Newton into downtown Boston, is serviced by street cars, some of which are now nearing 70 years of age (they have been extensively rebuilt over the years). The last I heard, BOEING-VERTOL used to make streetcars outside Philadelphia-they went out of business years ago. The Boston Transit authority (MBTA) has a few of these Boeng-Vertol cars, which are now 27 years old. The last I heard, the MBTA was about to buy streetcars made by Beretta in Italy-these were a disaster in trials-they broke down constantly, and the doors would refuse to open.
So, why are there no US mfgs. of streetcars-seems like there is a market for them (I know S Jose and several other cities use streetcars). These vehicles are hardly “hi tech”-we should be able to make them here!:confused:

The market is too small to be worth while.

If you’re quick enough, Lileks has a bit about trolleys on today’s Bleat which partially explains why they went out of usage…that would be www.lileks.com for the uninitiated.

Bombardier (of Canada) still makes light rail cars, don’t they?

“Could” make them does not mean we “should” make them. Boston really needs to upgrade the Green Lines. Yes, they provide a quaint, scenic ride through Newton, Alston/Brighton and Brookline, but given the option, most people would not be inclined to take a 45 minute trolley ride to travel the same distance they can cover in 15 minutes by car.

Just to clarify things a bit…

Last week, I took a trolley ride for the first time in years (I live outside Boston). The GREEN LINE, which runs from Newton into downtown Boston, is serviced by street cars, some of which are now nearing 70 years of age (they have been extensively rebuilt over the years).

It’s true that the Green Line uses street cars, but those are no longer the 70 year old PCC cars that you’re thinking of. The Green Line hasn’t seen a PCC car in regular service since the early/mid 80s. Amazingly, you can still find PCC trolley cars in service in Mattapan (where they are confusingly painted green), but not on the Green Line.

There are two kinds of cars in regular service on the B/C/D/E lines:

1. the Boeing LRV (Light Rail Vehical). The MBTA had a great deal of difficulty with these when they were new, particularly with the doors (since retrofitted with a different mechanism) and the air conditioning (ditto). They’re trying to phase them out now with the new Breda units from Italy that you mentioned. These LRV units were pretty awful originally, and it showed that Boeing ought to have stuck with Airplanes…

2. a large collection of street cars from the Japanese firm Kinki-Sharyo. These make up the bulk of the Green Line’s current fleet. I believe that they were purchased in the mid/late 80s, though I could be off on this. So far as I know, they were a success. I don’t know why the MBTA didn’t order more of them.

The last I heard, BOEING-VERTOL used to make streetcars outside Philadelphia-they went out of business years ago.

I believe this is true.

The Boston Transit authority (MBTA) has a few of these Boeng-Vertol cars, which are now 27 years old. The last I heard, the MBTA was about to buy streetcars made by Beretta in Italy-these were a disaster in trials-they broke down constantly, and the doors would refuse to open.

They’re from Breda, and their other problem is, they derail a lot more frequently than the LRV or Kinki-Sharyo units do. Supposedly, Breda is investigating. One of their main attractions is the low walk in floor height of the cars-- better for the handicapped than the LRV or Kinki trolleys with their 4 big steps up.

So, why are there no US mfgs. of streetcars-seems like there is a market for them (I know S Jose and several other cities use streetcars). These vehicles are hardly “hi tech”-we should be able to make them here!

You’d think so. Actually, when the MBTA ordered the Kinki-Sharyo units from Japan, they had to have final assembly in the US in order to meet federal “Made in USA” guidelines. Too bad we don’t make them here. I agree with the other posters; it probably just isn’t worth anyone’s while to build them here…