Why not declare Israel the 51st state?

Being civilized and intelligent should have made it difficult for Americans to believe that America’s security is somehow dependent on Israel’s security. It would be much easier if the two countries decided to have a church marriage - make it official.

I think Matt Yglesias tweeted or re-tweeted that in the final debate Israel: 22 mentions. Japan, Europe, India: 0.

This will end well.

And Palestine can be the 52nd. Wow, all the region’s problems, solved, just like that!

While we’re at it, let’s pick up India, Pakistan and Malaysia, so we can forget all that silly “offshoring” kerfluffle.

The question is why? What keeps these elements alive? Religion? Or is it that they don’t like being given the choice to determine their own destiny (democracy)? Or because they are thirsty for Jews’ blood and you are holding them back?

Well, you know the answer.
Religion.
Fundamentalist Muslims are opposed to Western-style democracies the same way Fundamentalist Christians are opposed to Muslim theocracies.

I live among fundamentalists. Most people are for democracy - Muslim-style. You won’t give gays the right of marriage, and we won’t allow blasphemy among other things. We don’t have the right to call for Sharia law in western countries, and you shouldn’t have the right to dictate your laws upon us.

Religion is not the problem, Jews and Christians live safely in every Muslim countries. The problem is sponsored terrorism; the one sponsored by the us: Israel and Arab dictatorships.

Where do you live?

Not meant as an accusation, but an honest question.

BTW, Muslims are allowed to call for Sharia law in the West and do in fact do so. If you think they can’t, you’ve been misinformed.

In fact, at least one western nation practices Sharia law as well as having Arabic as an official language.

That would imply that it started well.

I see what you did there…

Hell, why not just declare ourselves rulers of the entire world and have done with it?

Isn’t there already a Manifest Destiny thread?

From a practical standpoint, the sudden enfranchisement of 8 million new citizens, almost all of whom are non-Caucasian and non-Christian, would throw off the politial status quo.

No it wouldn’t.

Oy, now we’ll have brown states.

Please define “non-Caucasian”.

Thanks

To answer the OP in the most literal sense, the reason why Israel shouldn’t be the 51st state is that Israelis don’t want it to be. We like the U.S. a lot - you guys rock! - but we value our independence more.

Based on his previous posts, Saudi Arabia.

I came in to post exactly this - “Because we don’t want to!” – but, as usual, got beaten to it.