Why so many lies about Trump?

Yeah, that’s the right quote. . . and a bigger lie. Trump never said he thinks all Mexicans are criminals and rapists and never said anything about us hating Muslims.

So, basically, most of you are saying it’s OK for Bernie Sanders to lie about what Donald Trump says, but it’s not OK for Trump to lie at times. Interesting but expected.

Ridiculous thing to say! Its not like they were teachers, or in some union!

Shit, guys, the liberal hypocrisy card! We’re done for, give it up. Just once you’d think they’d forget about it, and we could win one! But, noooooo!

All rich people are greedy? That’s a pretty negative trait to ascribe to a group as a whole.

But I’m glad we’ve established that you can a) propose policies negatively affecting a group, and b) say bad things about that group, and that this in no way implies that you hate that group.

…wat

Are you seriously comparing “a slightly higher marginal tax rate because they earn so much money” and “a slightly better social safety net because it’s good for everyone else” to “put them on a registry because of radicals within their religion”?!

gasp

Whaaaat? He implied that the people hoarding almost half the wealth of this country and fighting against a more charitable tax rate are greedy? That monster! Why, two days from now, he’ll have called for them all to be put up against the wall and shot!

Oh wait, no he won’t, because that’s not the direction his campaign has taken at all. He’s not a radical communist. He’s a nordic democrat with a labeling problem.

Look, adaher, do you really not see any substantial difference between Trump’s rhetoric and Sanders’ rhetoric? I mean, at the very least, can you tell the difference between punching up at a legitimate problem (attacking the extremely rich and powerful, who have done some rather nasty things to this nation’s economy through their, yes, greed) and punching down at an imaginary one (attacking marginalized minorities who are already in danger of racial/sectarian violence, and which do not pose the threats he claims they do)? Because that’s two really important differences right there.

Did you read my previous post? The one where I addressed your complaints at length? :slight_smile: Sanders really isn’t lying about Trump. However, Trump doesn’t just lie “at times”, he lies constantly and without reprive. Almost nothing he says actually passes the sniff test, from the claim that Mexico is “sending their worst” to the claim that Muslims celebrated 9/11 in New Jersey, to the claim that his campaign is entirely self-funded.

Okay, so as long as you’re hating up, and the problem is legit, it’s okay. But if the problem is legit and you’re punching down, then it’s not okay.

Legit? You mean like the problem of Obama inviting hundreds of thousands of Syrian refugees?

Or the problem of Muslims in America celebrating 9/11?

Or the problem of Sanders taxing Americans at 90%?

Or the problem of Mexico sending their worst?

Or the problem of most illegal immigrants being violent criminals or drug dealers?

What you’re missing, adaher, is that Trump is a liar. The issues he brings up aren’t just punching down, they’re also fake. As in, not real. That’s actually something I brought up in my post. And they’re lies that target the most vulnerable among us. Trump is not Sam Harris. He’s not some grouchy intellectual openly saying “here are some real problems with X, Y, and Z and we need to talk about them, not just shut up and ignore them for political correctness.” He’s more akin to a German fascist propping up the Dolchstoßlegende, because his issues ARE NOT REAL.

I get that his specifics are all bullshit, but people listen because immigration actually is broken, and because terrorism is a very real threat.

I’m just trying to pin down what makes it hateful. Is it the fact that a lot of what he says is untrue? I wonder if Sanders can back up his greed accusations?

No we will say that Sanders encourages us to hate rich people and CEOs when he claims that they are sending rapists, murderers and terrorists to harm us.

I don’t know, accusing the rich of being the reason we’re poor and basically stealing from us isn’t exactly mild language.

It also happens to be a lie.

That isn’t what he said though. He’s saying that the very rich use their power and connections to give themselves more favorable conditions to maximize their wealth, at the expense of everyone else.

The US no longer has the upward mobility we used to. If the economy grows, it would be best for it to benefit everyone. This rising tide only lifts luxury yachts, not working tugboats.

And I’m just about done trying to explain what’s hateful about a populist candidate spreading dangerous, untrue stereotypes about marginalized minorities. This is not that hard. It really isn’t.

Which is also not true. Is Warren Buffett doing this? How about Bill Gates? Or is he referring to Harry Reid?

It’s a reasonable argument to make and everyone is making it. Demonization of the rich isn’t an important part of that argument, just as you can argue for stricter immigration enforcement without demonizing Mexicans.

Trump is such an obnoxious slimebag that I have no problem with anyone lying if thats whats needed in order to stop him. But you don’t even need to lie to sling mud at him. What about his very convenient medical condition which stopped him being drafted to Vietnam? How do his supporters who are mostly right wing and very pro military reconcile the fact that he’s a dirty draft dodger?

WAit, I thought we were all pro-military and that we all thought draft dodgers were unelectable?

No, not also. You haven’t demonstrated an initial untruth.

Individual wealthy people don’t have to be nefarious. Their self-serving actions taken in aggregate have unbalanced the system over time.

If you think saying billionaires have distorted the system to their benefit is the same thing as saying Mexico is sending us rapists, or that all Muslims are suspect, so none can come here, that’s on you.

You didn’t take into account how ignorant and angry the GOP base is.

If you think saying billionaires have distorted the system to their benefit is the same thing as saying Mexico is sending us rapists, or that all Muslims are suspect, so none can come here, that’s on you.
[/QUOTE]

So now it’s a few hundred people who are wrecking our country? Good, easy to round up.

You seem to be having some trouble parsing what I’m saying. Why not try again, and get back to me?

Okay, how have billionaires distorted the system?