Why the magi broght frankincense, gold, and myrrh

When they saw baby Jesus they fell upon their knees and opened up their treasures.

They gave to Jesus those three treasures.
They helped Joseph take his wife and son through territory.
Because they were given gold and treasure.

Not to mention…being in possession of all three valuables at the time meant you had pull…and a lot of it…

The very mention of baby Jesus with possession of treasures would spark protection among believers...and help hide and raise such a child....

Your talking about baby Jesus…There’s no wonder those treasures were brought to him. Incense for burning in the temple…Perfume for smelling good…and gold to bargain with for services…perfect.

Nuimshaan.

I’m guessing that this is the column: Why did the Magi consider frankincense and myrrh such valuable gifts?

I’d have to disagree that these were “perfect” gifts. I’ve always liked the lyrics to “Do You Hear What I Hear”:

How about 'let us bring him blankets and firewood"?

The modern equivalent would be bringing, what, eyeliner and perfume? So, far from “perfect” gifts, thiese do need some explanation.

All they needed was for word to get out that there was a fortune in frankincense, gold, and myrrh in an unprotected and unguarded manger. Right.

The gifts were symbolic, of course. Gold symbolized royalty, frankincense symbolized holiness/religion, and myrrh symbolized death and the tomb. In other words, the magi already knew about the crucifixion, or were divinely inspired to give a gift that foreshadowed it. Presumably we are supposed to understand that there was not so much gold, etc., as to change the way of life of Jesus and his family.

Czarcasm, the story of the magi and their gifts is in Matthew, where Joseph and Mary already live in Bethlehem. The manger is part of the radically different birth story in Luke.

So you’re saying that the magi knew that Jesus would one day die? This is an impressive display of divine power!

According to the implications of the Gospel of Matthew, yes. After all, how many gods die?

All gods die. But how many truly live?

AClockworkMelon - Great variance on a old saying.

And if we’re citing Christmas carols, “We three kings” makes this quite clear, with a verse for each of the three gifts.

Osiris leaps immediately to mind.

And Balder and others. But those are all merely gods. What is shocking about Jesus is that it’s the story of how the God died. (Please note that it is not necessary to believe that monotheism is factually true to observe that this is an unusual claim among monotheists.)

Are we sure it wasn’t scribal errors, and they were actually bringing names for a possible future shiddach (marriage match) – Golda, Myrtle, and the infant daughter of Baron Frankenstein?

Read Frasier’s “The Golden Bough.” It will take you a while. :rolleyes: In it Christianity is explicitly compared with the story of Osiris.

A lot of other traditions are traced to their roots as well. The book (or several volume set, depending) is amusing and sometimes disturbing :eek:, if you can persevere through the variations on a theme of tracing how some traditions have evolved in different places.

I’m pretty sure there is no mention of rubber cigars, explosive or otherwise, in the Bible.