Why the year 2004?

Today, in the U.S., why is the year 2004 universally used?

I think you will find that in most parts of the world the year 2004 is used. This is based on the Gregorian Calendar. There may be some religious groups that use a different calandar system.

Since last year was 2003, then adding 1 on 1 January, to account for an incrementation of a year due to the ‘passage of time’, we find that this year is 2004.

This same calculation has been used since the Gregorian Calendar was introduced around 1590.

Maybe the OP meant why 2004 and not just 04? I think people are using the “2000” to avoid any confusion of implying “1900”. When I refer to a 1900 date I just say the last 2 digits, a 2000 date I say the entire number. This seems to be the de facto standard being implemented by most people.

I think most people find saying oh-4 for 2004 quite awkward.

[hijack]

SwingWing, I’ve just taken a look at some of your recent posts, and I’d like to offer a quick word of advice: You really might want to think about stepping away from the keyboard and lurking for a while to get a better feel for the forums.

[/hijack]

I think the OP is perhaps referring to why we use the Christian year as opposed to the Jewish or Muslim or Chinese or any other year…but I can’t be sure.

Agreed. Take a step back and relax for a while.

Read the forum rules and take them to heart. This question could have been answered with a quick search of the internet.

ccwaterback had a legit interpretation of your question, but if that’s what you were asking you could have been more specific in the OP.

I have nothing to add factually…just continuing the hijack.

SwingWing, I suggest you read the FAQ and Registration Agreement carefully before you make your next post.

You have started a number of threads in incorrect forums. This particular thread asks a vague question. Please explain yourself clearly when posting to GQ.

If you continue in this manner I will be compelled to remove your posting privileges. Therefore, kindly read the rules carefully before you post.

-xash
General Questions Moderator

We tried calling it the year “ngjsaklfghuip23097ufrsnnjksa3*(&#U” but it didn’t really catch on. Too hard to write on checks.

I work backwards. To me it’s now -2004. People have just forgotten how to make bronze.

At least we have a few more good centuries to enjoy beer.

Time is an arbitrary thing anyway (but obviously useful for documentation and such), when someone in power (Julius Caesar, Pope Gregory) tells you what the “official” date is, you don’t argue.

Maybe its just that I have a problem with authority, but let’s give credit where credit is due, Pope Gregory only OK’d his namesake calender. The real developer was a fellow namedDennis the Short.

Speaking of calendrics, this site has multiple calender conversions (though I couldn’t get some of the links to work, darn).

I’m just grateful that many of the auto and furniture dealers, in their commercials, seem to have abandoned the “no payments until TWO-THOUSAND-AND…” schtick, intended to make the due dates on those installments seem unimaginably remote since it used to be another millenium. They now have reverted somewhat to the old pre-millenial style, saying “Oh-five” or “Oh-six”.

So my point is that I think it’s catching on, and soon we’ll all be saying just “oh” and then the single digit year. Then starting with 2010 we’ll start prefixing the “twenty”.

Oh, the humanity!

Everyone knows we’re currently in aught-four. At least that’s what I use…

You’re confusing two different things, the Gregorian Calendar and the Anno Domini year counting system. The A.D. year counting system is a thousand years older than the Gregorian Calendar, having been developed in A.D. 525 by Dionysius Exiguus, a Scythian monk. It became common usage in Europe between the 700s and the 1000s.

Because 2003 seems sooooooooo, yesterday.

Then starting in the 20’s, the last two digits will probably be comfortable enough. I hope we will all be there to see. :slight_smile:

Will everyone in the world have perfect vision in 20-20? :smiley:

Number of syllables and phonemes in “two thousand four”: 4/11
Number of syllables and phonemes in “twenty o four”: 4/10

Same number of syllables, only one more phoneme. Not much of a difference.

Thanks for clarifying that. Even though my remark was flippant, I should have strove for precision.