Why was the telemarketing thread moved to the Pit?

Flyer started a thread about telemarketing, and there were some general responses to the effect of “we don’t like telemarketers.” And then the thread got moved to the Pit. Is that really how things are done around here?

I thought if people expressed distaste for another poster, they were told to start their own thread in the pit, not to move the actual original thread to the pit. (I could see a reason to move it if Flyer was starting to get vicious in his/her responses, but that didn’t seem to be the case.)

The title of the thread was “Ask the person who calls people–telephone surveys.” We asked, he answered. If it’s a heated topic, it belongs in the Pit. It was, it went. It was put in the wrong forum in the first place, where it was impossible to respond as most people wanted to.

Personally, I don’t think our Pit is fiery enough for this topic.

So if we had an Ask the Transsexual or Ask the Black Person thread and those got heated, those should go in the Pit too?

I think so. That’s what it’s for.

However, I don’t hate transsexuals, black persons or even white persons nearly as much as I dislike telemarketers. And I dislike telemarketers regardless of color or sexual orientation.

That’s a completely ridiculous stance. We can’t have a heated topic discussed unless we are also allowed to call each other names? If it is so darn hard to hold back your insults, it should be on you to start a Pit thread not have a moderator helpfully move the whole thread.

Here’s my favourite bad example: Czarcasm moves thread to Pit so he can call someone an asshole

Fair enough, I’m not trying to get into an argument, just understand board policy. I’d hate to ever start a thread myself in which people start bashing me and then it gets moved to the Pit so they can bash me harder.

I thought that mods enforced rules within the sub-Forum. Right?

Or is it absolutely acceptable to go ahead and get it auto-transferred to Pit by posting ‘heated’ or offensive responses? Czarcasm’s example/action is very much an example, of course.

Or is any “Ask the…” thread a candidate for pit movement should a poster wish to not create a new thread?

This is so very confusing :confused:

Not only is the thread itself a somewhat inflammatory subject – there’s practically no one outside of Congress that’s hated more than telemarketers and with good reason – the attitude of the OP in that thread is pretty much “I don’t care if my calls annoy people, deal with it.”

Well, giving the OP grief over this is how people deal with it.

So yeah, the move to the Pit was appropriate, given the circumstances.

Then I suggest you choose the topic wisely. Some topics are more bashable than others.

In any case, in the long run, it’s a mod call.

Sooooo…If and when a person wants to deal with their grief, in a way that is typically against Board rules, from a person’s “Ask the…” thread, they can let it rip knowing its fine - that it will be moved to Pit because of said grief wanting to be given? Just like the example given of Czarcasm, of course.

Thanks for clearing that up :slight_smile: I am kind of surprised that Flyer has not requested to have his thread closed as I bet he wanted to answer questions rather than be a punching bag for others who cannot follow the “Ask the…” thread rules. But whatever the outcome, I do appreciate the clarity of it. Very much.

Let’s be honest about this. It was moved to the Pit because Lynn:

1.) doesn’t like people who call her unsolicited and
2.) she wanted to prove that she still has her mod powers

People have been told that a billion times but because a mod personally doesn’t like the OP, or in czarcasms’ case another poster, they move it to the pit so they and others can get their hate on.

Better people call her rather than knock on her door, given her descriptions of how she greets solicitors in those occasions.

I think that instructions to keep it civil or start a pit thread would have been better than moving it to the pit. Then anyone who was inclined to actually ask questions in the spirit of an “ask the…” thread could have done so in the appropriate forum, and anyone who wanted to trash Flyer could have done so in the separate pit thread. Now, Flyer and anyone else who may want to have a civil question and answer dialog have to do it in the context of profanity and vitriol. Not that those are bad things to me, but they are not everyone’s cup of tea. Capricious moderating, IMO.

I disagree. It was a perfectly reasonable topic for MPSIMS. It was being carried out in mostly a MPSIMS reasonable tone. There was no reason at all people couldn’t Pit the OP on their own to unload on him for whatever irked them. He was being reasonably polite in the thread, and replying on topic to all questions about why they do what they do.

Sure, the poster stated things like “I don’t care if my calls annoy people, deal with it”, but that was in the context of explaining why he doesn’t feel like complete shit for his job. He’s instructed to call, he calls.

I think it shameful that a mod moves a thread to the Pit just because they don’t like the OP or just so they can insert an insult. That example by Czarcasm is also a bad call. Bearflag was stating a perfectly reasonable opinion and was doing so in a reasonable and polite manner. There was no justification to move the thread that asked people why they don’t signal to the Pit just to insult one of the respondents.

Moving that thread to The Pit was a petty, catty move. Absolutely ridiculous. Irishman is spot on in post #15.

I suggest calling her “Administrator” would be better than “unsolicited,” and you wouldn’t want her mod powers to get all rusty from disuse, would you?

Participants in the thread can continue conversing in tones as reasonable as they like, even in the Pit. Fainting couches are available for anyone overcome by the atmosphere of saucy impertinence and freely uttered oaths.

I’ll split the difference here and say the thread might have been “saveable” for MPSIMS but that given the tone and the OP’s responses, the move wasn’t unreasonable either. Making up reasons Lynn Bodoni moved the thread is a bit less reasonable.

You can disagree with a mod action but you can’t be slapping Lynn around personally while you do it.

If this continues I will close this thread.