Why were these people banned?

Some people have too much time on their hands!! :smiley:

:eek: Oh, my! It might relieve a tiny bit of the constraints, but what about the number of people who register every week here? Surely, that’s enough to more than cancel out the four poor people who are randomly computer-selected every week for an automatic banning! :eek: :rolleyes: :stuck_out_tongue:

Sheesh, indeed. :rolleyes: Now I feel like such a :wally: for welcoming that dude to the boards… the evidence was right there on the screen! Aiya… how could I have missed that? (I did think it sounded a little suspicious, but apparently not suspicious enough for my inner radar, which I swear needs a checkup one of these days)

goes off to bang head on wall in frustration :mad:

I was going to post a question about this up in ATMB, but I see it’s already been answered. Not that I think that my brother and sister would get into the SDMB, or that they even ask what the grey screens are on their computer when I use it. However, on the off-chance that they will, of course I’d email the mods and tell them what’s going on! :slight_smile:

[ul]
[li]I, of course, would be **[Flamsterette_X/b][/li][li]my brother would probably be SPACE LORD[/li][li]and my sister would probably be either madcow, satine, or sparkling diamond (she has a thing for Moulin Rouge)[/li][/ul]

Not that I think the above scenario would happen, but if it does, I’ll warn them to log the previous user out first! (and I’d have to remind myself to do it too, should it ever happen)

Now you see why some of us take a while to warm up to newbies–dismayingly often, they turn out to be socks.

So, I guess you’re not. Hey, welcome to the SDMB! :smiley:

So does anyone know why RAWisSYDNEY was banned, while this thread is still open? I noticed his banning sometime last week, shortly after it happened and did a search of his threads and couldn’t find anything that sounded deserving of banning.

It was explained in ABTM - he was an already banned poster who found a way back in.

Niiiiiiiiice. :smiley:

I was actually wondering what happened to igotit, while we’re on the subject…

I hate to speculate on these train wrecks, but it happened in a thread which I was following:
http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?threadid=109666

Parameter responds to a post by Raoul (the OP) and instead of saying Raoul’s name, he says Tyrrell McAllister. Tyrrell comes by with puzzlement because he was not at all involved in the thread. Sea Sorbust, in the last post in the thread (right now), comes along to apologize and explain for the misquote.

This could easily be someone sharing the same computer, but without evidence of that, the mods (I assume) are left to the default explanation – sockpupppetry.

I think it was the default explanation on a number of reasons. Sea Sorbust’s and Parameter’s posting styles (lots of coding, lots of bolding and smileys) were very similar. They tended to both post on kooky subjects with dogmatic perseverance (albeit nonoverlapping as far as I can tell except for that one thread). Namely aforementioned asteroid defense and crackpot biology.

Where Raoul fits into this is a little more cagey. Perhaps similarity of usernames coupled with matching IPs and the now-suspected propensity to puppetry led to putting 1 and 1 and 1 together to make 3.

I trust in the mods. That is, until the light in my palm turns red and blinks. Then I run.

I would certainly hope I’m not a sock, what with more than 600 posts to my credit! :stuck_out_tongue:

But I guess I still sorta feel :o (nothing to really do about it, though)!

Thanks for the welcome, Duck Duck Goose!

This is what happened to her. Surprisingly, the search function worked really quickly, even when I left everything “as is”; you know, the most broad search parameters. :slight_smile:

Isn’t he the one whose brother also posted here, “insides_torn_out” or somesuch? If so, the original banning was mainly due to a pit thread which had been lost in the update and also resulted in the banning of ito. I’ll bet that this is the only instance of banning by ISP, due in part to ito’s behavior in that post and the potential of letting his brother post using his name.