Why would anyone want to live on the moon?

I heard a guy on the radio talking about how in the future humans will colonize space and other celestial bodies. Considering what it would take to make life on the moon livable, let alone enjoyable, I imagine that the effort would significantly outweigh that which could make Earth a better place to live. What is it with people who think that humans in the future must necessarily live in space? Why have they given up on Earth? They must’ve seen “Star Wars” too many times.

That same guy on the radio talked about some kind of “elevator to space.” He said that satellites would lower cables to earth, and that they would be stablized by a “counter mass.” He didn’t bother to explain what exactly a “counter mass” would be. I think he probably has watched “Gumby” too many times.

Would YOU want to live on the moon, or another planet, forever, or some obiting vessel?

For people with certain kinds of health problems, there might be advantages to the lower gravity of the moon. Remember Heinlein’s story “Waldo,” in which a man with myasthenia gravis chooses to live in a satellite in orbit?

Are you serious?! :dubious:

I’d go RIGHT NOW. Without so much as saying goodbye to my loved ones or packing anything. Just give me the chance. And I think there’s a lot of people that feel the same way.

The Moon! Another Planet! Hell, yeah!

Have you been to Earth lately?

I rest my case.

Space elevator.

Bif, friend of Columbus: “But Chris, comeon! Why you wanna leave Europe?”
Indeed, the truth of the matter is, while it would be expensive to set up a colony on the Moon, Mars, the Belt or to build an orbiting space habitat, it’s inevitable.

Many many many people want it.

As for the expense and what it could do on Earth? Not a damn thing, if you look at it in a global scale. Assuming it costs 500 BILLION dollars to design and build a Lunar habitat… if you take that money, and use it on Earth, it will not do nearly as much as you would think.

–Hell of a view, or so I’m told.

–Won’t have to worry about keeping those damn kids off my lawn.

–No mosquitos.

–No Jehovah’s Witnesses or door-to-door salesmen.

–Plenty of peace and quiet-- no booming stereos at four AM. No neighbors using leafblowers at the crack of dawn.

Where do I sign?

I could eat all I want and still only weigh 1/6th my original weight on the Earth.

Well, I’d like to visit the moon
On a rocket ship high in the air
Yes, I’d like to visit the moon
But I don’t think I’d like to live there.

– Jeff Moss,Jim Henson

Where are you all going to get your food, water, and air?

Antarctica seems like an easier bet. It’s a lot warmer.

Who would ever want to live in the New World?

Or in the Nebraska territory?

Or go out to the Indian territory and claim some free land?
Some people are settlers. They push the envelope. Yes they suffer. The colonization of space will have their own Donner Party stories. But people will go.

I remember, though I can’t recall the souce, hearing someone discuss how great societies need both pioneers and homebodies. Pioneers to go out and expand, to take the risks and live the harsh life are important to a society. Just as the people who don’t want to do those things but stay and make ‘home’ steady, and able to support the pioneers. (or maybe drive them crazy enough to go and live on the other side of the world, for fun)

There have always been people who are willing to rough it out, to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to bodly go, where no man has gone before!

The moon has plenty of oxygen and it’s thought it may have fair amounts of hydrogen & water. I’m not sure how much nitrogen it’s got though.

Once you’ve got water & air producing food shouldn’t be too big a problem with all the sunlight and energy you’re potentially getting.

Compared to Antartica it’s of course much colder but you wouldn’t have to deal with storms or long periods of darkness or environmentalists yelling at you for spoiling the land.

As real estate prices on Earth grow higher and higher the moon just might get more attractive. It’s got the same land area as the US, Canada and Russia combined. If the space elevator or something could make it affordable, it might be a great place to grow all our food, pesticide-free. Maybe we could adapt fish & cattle to the low gravity. Just think, we could have cows literally jumping over the moon.

I don’t particularly want to live on the moon myself, but if other people are willing to do it I think it would be great. I think sooner or later we’ll probably have to spread out to other planets if we want the human race to survive in its current numbers and current level of technological sophistication. The earth can only sustain so many people, and the population will keep growing as we learn more ways to treat deadly diseases like cancer, bring third world nations to first world standards of living, and so on.

Here’s why: At present, a mere 300 million people (i.e. the US) use more of the planet’s resources and produce more pollution than anyone else. These 300 million people also have the highest standard of living. There is, at most, another 700 million people who have a living standard that could be comparable to ours, and they’re scattered across the globe. China, with a population of 1 billion plus, is rapidly expanding it’s economy such that within a few decades, it will consume the entire daily global production of oil, India is not far behind. We know that the pollution output of at most 1 billion people is enough to wreck the environment of the planet (1 billion people probably being the number of folks who live in 1st World conditions). In order to reverse this trend and have a planet that’s liveable, we’re not only going to have figure out how to have a “carbon neutral” way of living, but as more and more of the global population increases their standard of living, we’ll need a carbon negative way of living, plus dramatic decreases in the amount of resources used. Don’t forget that the global population levels are projected to only stabilize (i.e. hold steady) when we reach 9 billion people, and some experts say that the Earth can really only sustain a population level of 2 billion people.

So, as we get more tightly packed together, and more and more restrictions are put on our lives (manditory recycling programs, stricter environmental regulations, possibly enforced population control [hopefully not as draconian as in China], etc.), people are going to look to the Moon, Mars, and anywhere else, off this planet, that they can live with greater freedoms. Yeah, you won’t be able to drive your Ford Le Behemoth SUV on the Moon, but at the same time, you won’t be crammed asshole to elbow everywhere you go on the Moon. If you want to walk away from everyone and everything for a couple of hours, you’ll be able to do that there, but not on Earth. That will be enough reason for many people (and the fact that you can dump as many greenhouse gases as you want into the atmosphere of Mars will be another). If I could, I’d leave today for the Moon, and never shed a tear (provided I could take my cats with me).

Because I want to get off this crappy goddamn planet full of hippies, and I think regular suicide is too risky?

Siomebody needs to read more science fiction.

Heinlein, of course, wrote quite a bit about the moon and the advantages (and perils) of living there. Getting a colony started would be extremely expensive, but once you did, you’d have a great place to use as a steping-stone to the rest of the solar system, as well as a place for doing things that can be done well in space. There’s an article in this month’s Physics Today arguing the pros and cons of a lunar telescope, for instance. There’s low gravity and near-vacuum manufacture (and the stuff on the moon has already been outgassing for a few billion years, so it’s not going to contribute significantly). There’s solar power and communication s possibilities. Maybe thwey’ll find a use for that lunar regolith.
One thing I’ve wondered is about long-term effects of living in the low lunar gravity. There’s been a huge amount of work done on low G effects on te human body since Heinlein wrote his books, and it turns out there are more drawbacks to living in zero G than people thought. I don’t know how much of this carries over to the low-G environment of the moon. I suspect it’s not quite as bad.

The Moon – I’d do it – probably especially if I was old & enfeebled on Earth. I can imagine (and that is all this is) being 81 and my choice:

Run around in a rascal , have no drivers license, be subject to the vagaries of weather, crime, terrorists, pollution and whatever … stray dogs.

OR

Be able to walk like I was 65 again, be able to go where I need in my moon buggy or monorail or walk. Have no weather, or pollution (or stray dogs) have every person accounted for & with a job meaning almost certainly lower likelihood of crime and probably terrorists. Not a hard choice for me at all.

“Orbiting vessel”: I have always believed that the future of the human race is in habitats with perfect weather, gravity and all the above (no pollution, low crime) and possibly with people who think alot like you/share your values to a huge degree :

“I wish I lived in Small Town America 1956, with all the luxuries of 2106 and what an average Red State Republican 2016 sees as appropriate social values to raise my kid” — and 95% of the 100,000 people with you in the habitat feel the same way

“I wish I lived in an Artists Colony like Taos, New Mexico, without crime or weather, OR New York City with varied theater and dining experiences until dawn with virtually no crime, OR on a green biosphere where 5,000 humans live in a Manhattan sized rainforest in perfect eco-balance – whatever you want you could (theoretically) build a habitat to suit it. That is the future of Space and humanity (I think) – obviously the larger and more elaborate and specialized the farther in the future it will be (but I think it is coming).

Dude. Without previewing the other responses, there’s only one real answer to this.

Rocket jetpacks. Lots of cheap and awesome rocket jetpacks. There’s fewer than a dozen in existence today. On the moon, there will be so many to choose from. You can get yours in Hummer Yellow if you like. If you put too many Yu-Gi-Oh stickers on yours during that embarrassing and akward phase you went through in seventh grade, you can just get a new one. Don’t like the lateral thrust on yours, and it’s a bit sluggish when yawing to port? Get a new one. The wife’s been bugging you about the old rocket jetpack she flies to Bunco games? Get a new one. Think about it: all the problems stemming from the current global shortage of rocket jetpacks will be solved - all of them, instantly - by moving to the Moon.

Everything else pales in comparison.

No, I wouldn’t want to live on the moon.
We are hundreds of years away from having the ability to make it even remotely practical. Look at the living conditions on the space shuttle and the space station. The view is great but to live like that? No way.

Comparisons to ‘pioneers’ on Earth aren’t really valid. Setting out to explore previously unknown areas of earth was the only way to find out about them. Space exploration is possible without actually sending humans into space. We are doing that now and it’s the only sensible way.

Why? Low-gravity sex, of course. Standing 69 and doing a backflip - awwwwwyeahhhhhbabyyy…

-Tcat