Wi-fi dropping on a new laptop. Why?

My Samsung Tablet A 10.1 dropped Wi-Fi. I discovered holding it straight up helped.

I almost returned it to Amazon. But a Google search indicated it was a common problem and Samsung would be issuing an update.

Two months later the Samsung software update arrived. Wi-Fi has been much more reliable.

I think it was a driver problem. I’m not entirely sure.

Thanks for replying!

I think it’s probably a driver issue. The problem I have is that I think I have the latest driver from Intel, so I might be in a similar position. It’s strange because it wasn’t much of an issue (that I’m aware of) until about a week ago. I can’t recall downloading or installing anything in particular that might have caused a change.

Based on what I’ve been able to read so far, it seems like the two most likely culprits are Windows 10 and Intel’s drivers, or some combination of the two. It seems like this is probably another example of manufacturer’s rolling out products that haven’t been fully quality tested - they’ll fix it when enough people complain.

Stay well away from Apple. I just installed Big Sur, and the new WiFi icon only has 3 bars. The old icon went up to 4. Apple technology is going backwards!

I have the same issue with my Lenovo. I’m pretty sure it’s a driver issue as I’ve done everything posted upthread except download drivers from the wifi chip mfr. It’s annoying.

Let me guess: an Intel wi-fi adapter (driver)? That’s mine.

I thought I had found a solution for a few hours by disabling the “Killer” network services that come with Dell, but it still happened, although it seems more stable at the moment. However, that ‘stability’ could be just because it’s a Saturday and maybe people are out enjoying the sunny weather and not at home messing around with networks and wireless devices that interfere with mine.

At my wit’s end, though I feel a little better now that I seem to have a better understanding of the problem

Qualcomm Atheros in my case but I also had a BIOS update due that I missed. wifi driver was up to date so here’s crossing my fingers…

I’ll probably reinstall drivers tonight or tomorrow. I get kinda skittish about that as I’m not a super techie person but I’ll give that a try. And if that doesn’t work, I guess I’ll do chat with Dell support on Monday.

And if that doesn’t work I’ll see if I can’t just get Costco to let me trade it in, knowing there’s no guarantee I’ll get anything better. I actually didn’t want to go through Costco b/c they don’t really have the brands I like but my wife’s got a membership and nudged me to use it.

We had random wifi device internet dropouts. Kindle would drop, Roku, desktops, gaming systems, laptop and phones stayed on. Or a different combination. Some 2.4g, some 5g, different access points. Slowly over months became more often and more devices. Hardwired units stayed connected until near the end of the story. Always able to connect to the gateway though. Our DSL modem was bridged through to our router. Rebooting router needed to bring everything back. A router firmware update helped for a short while. Eventually got a new DSL modem when cabled units started dropping out. This got rid of all the internet dropouts.

I think the wi-fi driver got corrupted, either by the introduction of new software downloads or updates. I removed the wi-fi driver, which automatically reinstalled after a restart. It’s been very stable today - no drops. Doesn’t guarantee it’ll stay like this but it works for now.

I have a feeling I’ll be dealing with this in the future as Windows and various software require updates. It seems like the MO of companies now is to release the software and let users tell them what the bugs are.

Special thanks to @squeegee for pointing me in the right direction in (maybe temporarily) fixing this issue. Even if it’s a temp fix, I’ll take it

:crossed_fingers: :grinning: :metal:

Did you call Dell? It sounds like it is driver problem or firmware problem.

May be updating wifi driver or motherboard firmware.

This is a known issue, and a successful method of eliminating it is to reset your BIOS.

Here’s two options, though the first is the easiest:

• Hold down the shift key while you restart your computer
  • You should see a blue screen with advanced troubleshooting options

Or if you prefer, you can also do the following:

• Navigate to the Settings tab under your Start menu by clicking the gear icon
  • Click the Update & Security option and select Recovery from the left sidebar
  • You should see a Restart now option below the Advanced Setup heading, click this whenever you’re ready
  • When your computer restarts, it should load a blue screen with advanced troubleshooting options
  • Select Troubleshoot and then click Advanced Options from the resulting options
  • Choose UEFI Firmware Settings and click Restart to continue

Your computer should shut off and then load a setup menu. This interface can vary in exact appearance and wording, but there should be several areas to find the reset default button.

Because the interface can vary, you may want to check multiple tabs for options, but be on the lookout for Configuration, Security, or Exit. Watch for phrases like “Load Setup Defaults” or “Load Default Options,” which should bring up a Yes or No dialog box. Select yes and your default settings should be restored. From here, simply exit and startup as usual.

1. Reset by removing and replacing the CMOS battery

The first of our more technical solutions involves removing and replacing the CMOS battery. Not every type of motherboard includes a CMOS battery, which provides a power supply so that motherboards can save BIOS settings. Bear in mind that when you remove and replace the CMOS battery, your BIOS will reset.

Here’s how to do it:

• Turn off your PC’s power supply and remove all connections
  • Make sure you’re properly grounded to prevent damage to your computer
  • Access your computer’s interior, find the motherboard, and identify the CMOS battery. If you aren’t sure what this component looks like with your device, do some research into your specific model and specifications
  • Remove the battery, wait several minutes, and reattach the battery to your motherboard. You may want to replace it with a new battery, rather than simply reinserting the old one. To avoid damage, remember to take extreme caution removing the battery, particularly if it doesn’t detach easily

So to give you all an update, reinstalling the Intel wi-fi driver worked for about a week. I say it “worked” because it didn’t disconnect me long enough for me to notice, but when I went into the event viewer, I noticed some of the usual suspicious events like “security has stopped” and the network card looking for a network and so forth (don’t know if I’m describing it accurately). What I found the first time was that ‘fixes’ like setting the roaming sensitivity to the lowest and switching to 5G only didn’t work. And I don’t want to disable my Windows Defender.

Overall, I’d say the problem is better since I reinstalled the Wi-Fi driver and I’ve also made it a point to restart more frequently, but the problem hasn’t gone away.

Jasmine, you might be onto something with the BIOS. I’ve seen it suggested somewhere and will consider going that route next.

Stay tuned for more adventures in wi-fi troubleshooting!

So is it still flaky?

Ah, Intel Wifi. I have a laptop with Intel that I couldn’t get stable, I finally just bought a USB wifi adapter with a Realtek chipset and it’s been mostly flawless. But that is only practical because the laptop stays stationary and I don’t carry it around.

I’m not sure if you specifically downloaded drivers from Intel, but you can try these: Intel® Wireless-AC 9462

this was happening to my wife’s laptop and we followed the power management issue instructions here. Seems to have solved it for her.

Yes…but I guess I’ve gotten used to it. At least it’s not progressing into something really disruptive. It just cuts out a time or two during the day. Sometimes I can go a day or two without a hitch; other times it’ll cut out two or three times (for about 30-60 seconds) within a 2-3 hour span. I think it’s either living in an area with lots of RF interference and/or power management. Microsoft has removed all of the things that seemed to be remedies, including the ability to adjust power management manually.

Tried that - MS removed it. They even removed the ‘fix’ that involved going into the registry.

I’ve updated the drivers twice. Didn’t help. I even rolled them back.