Wildfires in Mexico?

The news has been reporting on wildfires in California extending south to the border.

I presume they mean they don’t care too much about fires in Mexico. On the other hand, in Mexico they must have different forestry practices than in the United States.

Does Mexico have, or is it having wildfires like the ones in the US? If not, why not?

What lessons can California learn from Mexico?

Does Mexico have, or is it having wildfires like the ones in the US?

Yes, but the US media tends not to cover it.

What lessons can California learn from Mexico?

Don’t drink the water.
D

It’s not just the US media. Here in Ireland, all we’ve heard about is the “California fires”. It wasn’t until my uncle in San Diego sent me a map showing where the fires are happening that I realised they were in Mexico too.

Depends on where in Mexico. In Baja, the population is so sparse that they have generally ignored wildfires. This means, of course, that the wildfires are usually small and localized. I.e., lots of small ones burning up a small amount of fuel rather than the once-in-a-great-while fires that have a lot of builtup fuel to go thru.

The Baja studies have been very influential in recent attempts to get people to go along with small, controlled burns as well as leaving wildfires well away from structures to burn themselves out.

But it’s the people-fire interface that mucks everything up.