Will a dimmer damage an LED bulb?

Rather than hijack the thread on “banning” incandescent bulbs, I really want to know the answer to this question. I have a floor lamp that is on much of the day, being by my laptop where I spend much of my time. It has a 2 position switch. This gives two levels of light from an ordinary 100W incandescent (not a 3-way bulb). I assume that this is done by simply having a step-down transformer to provide a lower voltage. I further assume that the lower voltage won’t turn an LED bulb on at all (from things said in that other thread about how poorly they respond to dimmers even if rated for them).

So my question is, if I put an LED bulb in, will running through the low position to get to the high one damage the bulb. Especially if I quickly push the button twice to get to the higher voltage?

Spend $8 on a dimmable LED bulb and find out. All the lamps I’m familiar with use 3 way bulbs to get multiple levels of light, other than the Tensor type using 12 volt bulbs. What kind of lamp do you have?

I have a track light set that with dimmable LED bugs installed and a Lutron Maistro dimmer. They dim down very low before going out.

Unless it is rather old it probably doesn’t have a transformer in it. There are cheaper ways (like a series capacitor) to cut down the voltage to the bulb.

Running the LED bulb briefly at the reduced voltage shouldn’t hurt anything.

Thanks. I had no idea of any other way to do it. A capacitor in series. I guess it acts like a resistor with no, or less, loss. The lamp (torchiere style) is just a few years old.

Light dimmers don’t reduce the voltage. They reduce the percentage of the time the voltage is there. AC (in the US) is 60Hz. The voltage is already going above and below 0 at 60Hz. Dimmers (essentially) increase the amount of time the wave is at ‘0’ - w/o increasing the time between the waves. It works quite well with lamps with incandescent bulbs because the filament glows after the voltage is removed.

The fact that it has a 2 position switch makes me think that it doesn’t have a dimmer in it. If you don’t need variable dimming, a simple capacitor in series is a lot cheaper than a triac-based dimmer.

Follow-up. So I tried it and the LED bulb doesn’t light at either setting of the switch. I really haven’t the faintest idea what is in the switch, but whatever it is, it doesn’t turn the LED. I put the LED back where I had it and it works fine. An ordinary incandescent in that lamp also works fine. The lamp is maybe five years old.

May as well close the thread.