Will AG Gonzalez have to resign?

Gonzo isn’t going anywhere as long as he runs interference during the current “testimony” scandal.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see AGAG gone within the next week or two.

The story isn’t going away, it’s an embarrassment and a distraction for the administration, and it looks like Gonzales was more involved right after the '04 election than he’s previously admitted. I suspect he’s going to fall on his sword with words to the effect of “Although I’ve done nothing wrong, I cannot fully focus on the important work of the DoJ while this partisan controversy distracts us all” and “I am deeply grateful for the President’s unflinching support, but have concluded that it would be better for him and for the Nation if someone else were to now take up the duties of this great office,” etc.

CNN.com reports that White House flunkies have been quietly looking into potential AG nominees.

I’d say he’s about to be toast…

WASHINGTON (AP) – Attorney General Alberto Gonzales approved plans to fire several U.S. attorneys in a November meeting, according to documents released Friday that contradict earlier claims that he was not closely involved in the dismissals.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS/03/23/us.attorneys.gonzales.ap/index.html

That would have worked several weeks ago, but that ship has sailed. Gonzales will resign, but that won’t stop the hemorrhage. He lied in his testimony to Congress … that destroys the administration’s political cover for having Rove and Miers avoid testifying under oath. They can’t very well maintain that they’re merely honest public servants standing on principle when the AG has just been caught in a flat-out lie.

Half a dozen people were in the meeting to discuss the firings. (The one meeting we know about … there may have been more.) They’ll all be testifying soon too. Every single one of them is a potential time bomb.

Then there’s the 18-day gap of missing emails … Lord only knows what else will come to light when that finally gets dragged out into the open.

We’re just at the beginning of this.

“We have a cancer–within, close to the Presidency, that’s growing. It’s growing daily. It’s compounding, it grows geometrically now because it compounds itself.”

Something that stands out from me from CNN’s coverage:

And there you have it. Not fired for performance. Fired because a crony of Rove’s wanted his job (or because Rove wanted his crony to have that particular job). Will wonders never cease?

Recently released documents show Gonzalez actively participated in the firings. See also here.

Al, start updating your resume. And get your best suit cleaned for your Medal of Freedom ceremony.

Why is it that these revelations that appear to be the most damaging always seem to come out late in the day on Fridays? Won’t help, though they’re still doing their best at spinning it:

Yeah. It’s all over except for the twisting in the wind.

Good thing it’s tornado season up here then.

Update: Over the weekend, four Republican senators made public statements critical of Gonzalez – Orrin Hatch (Utah), Chuck Hagel (Nebraska), Lindsey Graham (South Carolina), and Arlen Specter (Pennsylvania).

I can’t imagine Gonzalez will survive, now that an attorney identified as his “senior counsel” has indicated that she will invoke her Fifth Amendment privileges before Congress. I would imagine that the committee will haul her in despite her statement that she won’t provide substantive testimony, and make her say so on the record. It will be a spectacle.

5th Amendment priviledge? And I thought the story all along was that nothing illegal happened! Why would she be afraid of incriminating herself if everything was completely legit?

Come to think of it . . . not even the Admin’s fiercest detractors have been alleging any actual prosecutable crime happened in connection with this business . . .

This lawyer’s reluctance, expressed in such terms, strongly suggests there’s even more sleaze going on here than meets the eye.

It is a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma. :wink:

Inside a burrito. :smiley:

And in other AG/AG news:

HO LEE COW :eek:

Hold on, that is World Net Daily. We need a better source.

WND is Totally unreliable in my experience. (They were among the ones that claimed Plame’s neighbors knew that she was a cover agent, and to this day they never pointed out who were they) The only thing to notice though is that WND is a very conservative site and I think that them piling on Gonzalez could mean that even the extreme right is worried that Bush standing for Gonzalez will indeed hurt all Republicans in 2008 if they do not take care of him now.

Well, everything seems to trace back to here, which does provide cites for several first-hand sources. YMMV, of course (I’m not up on Texas politics and what swings right & left down there, source-wise), but if this pans out, we have another Mark Foley-type scenario brewing…

But caving on Gonzales might embolden the [del]terrorists[/del] Democrats:
Time to Go at the NRO

In other news, the Justice Department admits it misinformed congress about the involvement of the white house in the firings.

The latest emails make it look like a conspiracy with the white house: White House OK’ed Sampson Statement on Rove

Keep in mind, however, that we cannot trust the administration’s email records because they’ve been conducting so much business through “unofficial” and, they presumably hope, undiscoverable channels.

Which are subpoenable and not subject to even the hokiest executive privilege claim.