Will AG Gonzalez have to resign?

Leading Senate Democrats Chuck Schumer and Joe Biden have called on Gonzalez to resign. Even Arlen Specter has speculated on the possibility.

Gonzalez is being dogged by two scandals, or scandals-in-the-making, that can be laid at his feet or at least on his desk, as it were:

1. Reports that the FBI has been abusing its powers under the USA PATRIOT ACT to spy on people. See this Pit thread.

2. The recent firings of at least eight U.S. Attorneys, which some contend were for political reasons. See this GD thread.

That’s all quite apart from his view of the Geneva Conventions as “quaint” and all that.

Will Gonzalez have to go? After all, that’s W’s call; Congress can’t force the issue, not unless they impeach Gonzalez.

My answer: a resounding “Maybe!”

As you note, the only two people who can decide that he needs to resign are Pres. Bush and Gonzalez himself. And by and large Mr. Bush has proved himself mostly impervious to what his opposition publicly opines.

But when the outcry becomes loud enough that the incumbent becomes an embarrassment to his Administration, Mr. Bush’s vaunted loyalty to his top staff suddenly evaporates. Two great examples are FEMA Administrator Brown and Sec. Rumsfeld.

If the noise about Gonzalez reaches the level it did for either of them, spread marmalade on him, because he’s toast. But until then, don’t underestimate Mr. Bush’s ability to stick his fingers in his ears and sing la-la-la to the outcry among the opposition.

I think Bush will be extremely reticent to force Gonzalez out…with Rumsfeld resigned as well, people will start to wonder who the idiot was that hired all these guys.

The NY Times is joining the party…

On Thursday, Senator Arlen Specter, the senior Republican on the Senate Judiciary Committee, hinted very obliquely that perhaps Mr. Gonzales’s time was up. We’re not going to be oblique. Mr. Bush should dismiss Mr. Gonzales and finally appoint an attorney general who will use the job to enforce the law and defend the Constitution.*

“Start” ? :confused:

Jack Cafferty just said ‘look up weasel and you’ll see Gonzales’ picture’.
:smiley:

And you have just answered your own question. The Great Decider is the one who decides when he goes, nobody else will.

At this point in the administration, their attitudes towards basically all outsiders–the press, Congressional Democrats, Congressional Republicans who will still have to run for election–is best summed up as: “FUCK 'EM.”

I smell a Medal of Freedom!

I hate Gonzalezs concept of the AG. He sees it as the presidents attorney only. Whatever the president wants he will find a way to do. He seems to see the Constitution as a document with loopholes to exploit. I am not sure he believes most of what he says. The look (kind of smirk) he gives reminds me of Kingfish on the Amos and Andy Show. He comes up with an idea
floats it and waits for a reaction . If none comes .the plot continues. His arrogance in front of committees pissed me off big time. Essentially he is stating he owes explanations to nobody and they are interrupting his plans. He does not have time to give them the reasons. If enough repubs see him as a political liability ,he will be in trouble. Bush still answers to the neocons and religious right.

Many character assassinations will take place first.

The American Flag must be dragged through the mud by Bushco for a minimum of 10 miles before he “gives”.

:mad:

Many character assassinations will take place first.

The American Flag must be dragged through the mud by Bushco for a minimum of 10 miles before he “gives”.

:mad:

Sorry for the multipost.

Could a Mod fix it?

Yes.

Well, Gonzalez says he won’t resign.

Kinda like Janet Reno “accepted responsibility” for Waco, but she sure wasn’t going nowhere . . .

Will this happen before or after the Rapture clears out the fundies so that the rest of us can live in peace and harmony?

If this is a poll, put me down in the “Gonzales will resign” camp.

I think Gonzales will resign, whether it’s of his own volition or if he’s asked to resign I don’t think we’ll ever know, and I really don’t care as long as that lying weasel is gone.

Get this!! I just heard Senator Leahy, interviewed on NPR, say that although Kyle Sampson resigned he’s still there!! Apparently, Sampson is being allowed to remain in employed by Gonzales’ office until he finds a new job. What kind of crap is this now?

I think Gonzales will resign, whether it’s of his own volition or if he’s asked to resign I don’t think we’ll ever know, and I really don’t care as long as that lying weasel is gone.

Get this!! I just heard Senator Leahy, interviewed on NPR, say that although Kyle Sampson resigned he’s still there!! Apparently, Sampson is being allowed to remain in employed by Gonzales’ office until he finds a new job. What kind of crap is this now?

IOKIYAAR, which is kind of a continuation of what this whole sordid tale is all about.

I heard they made a similar arrangement for Rumsfeld – in fact, for all I know, he’s still working out of a Pentagon office.

I’ve got no problem with a severance package, but what’s wrong with just asking the guy where he wants his check sent?

I think Rumsfeld’s working on his memoirs or some such thing. Personally, I got very little problem with it. Imagine what it must be like, working unnoticed in the building where you were in charge just a few months ago…

Yes, imagine. Imagine earning upwards of $100k +bennies +perqs, for doing probably nothing. I certainly have a problem with it.