Will consuming your own body fat cause arteriosclerosis?

If a person is significantly overweight and goes on a strict diet where (let’s say) half the calories they are consuming are from their own body fat, will this have negative effects similar to eating a high fat diet if you were not losing weight (ie clogged arteries, oily skin etc), or is the mechanism of digesting your own fat and digesting external fat different somehow?

The visual that I got off of this sentence was NOT good. :eek:

Just want to point out that low carb diets (which are usually high fat high protein) usually lower have a positive effect after a potential initial negitive. From what I understand it is carbs being converted to fat that caused much of the problem. So I would say it depends on what the other 1/2 of the calories come from.

The mechanism is quite different when you digest your own fat.

I started to explain how, but then noticed that I didn’t remember just how it works. But it is different, dietary digestion via absorbing various lengths of fatty acid chains thru the intestine, and then thru the liver via the portal vein, versus breaking them down within the fat cell, and sending it directly into the blood to be quickly absorbed by the cells which need it.

Also, with you in “fat catabolism” or the metabolic state of breaking down fat from dieting, you are also not synthesizing many cholesterol or triglyceride molecules, which frankly are held responsible for doing most of the arterial damage which comes from fats.

I bet KarlGauss can 'splain it better.

Just as an aside, Quadgop, are you saying that most arterial damage is caused by cholesteral and tryglicerides? Also, aren’t tryglicerides caused by eating too many carbs, which are converted by insulin into fat?

No, I’m saying cholesterol is a contributor to arterial damage. The role of ruptured soft plaques, sticky platelets, free radicals and elevated blood pressure also have roles.

And the story behind triglycerides is still murky. In syndrome X, it’s insulin resistance that results in elevated triglycerides. Absolute insulin deficiency as seen in type 1 diabetics also results in elevated triglycerides. So you can have high triglycerides in both the absence of insulin, and in the presence of excess amounts. I really wish KarlGauss would show up.