Will diet & exercise lower my blood lipids

Im 24 and my blood lipids are high enough that i may not be able to sell plasma anymore. as a college student this is a relevant source of my income and i’d rather not lose it.

I weigh alot, 259 @ 26% bodyfat. i weighed 302 in june last year, and decided to lose weight via a low fat diet & exercise. I quit dieting around dec of last year for a variety of reasons.

Would going back on a lower fat diet (25-30% is the fat content, i don’t consider that low fat, just lower) diet and exercising help my lipids any? If i started dieting again would the calories deficit use up any of the lipids in my blood, cutting my lipid amount down any?

I dont want to cut my fat down to 15% or anything, that is too radical. Besides some unsaturated fats like peanut butter fill me up better than granola.

So would a 25-30% fat diet (my current diet is probably 38% or so) and a caloric deficit make any dents in my lipid profile?

Check your peanut butter ingredients for “hydrogenated”, which means it’s got trans fats in it. Those are no good for anyone’s anything profiles.

Sorry, kind of irrelevant post :slight_smile:

Yes. Both weight loss and exercise and reducing the percentage of fat intake will lower your lipids.

Could you get your lipids checked so you can track them? That can provide motivation. I’d recommend you ask to get your HDL (good cholesterol), LDL (bad), and Triglycerides checked, along with your total cholesterol. The info is more useful that way. You want your LDL under 120 and your HDL over 45, and your total cholesterol under 200. Triglycerides under 150 are nice.

There are more fancy cholesterol-fractionating tests out there, which might provide more insight into your cholesterol picture, but the above-mentioned ones ought to be sufficient.

Keep in mind that while diet and exercise will improve your cholesterol picture, many fit people still have cholesterol that is too high. A good portion of the cholesterol problem is just that some people’s bodies makes too much cholesterol. But diet and exercise is the place to start.

A point I’d like to raise is that if diet and exercise doesn’t lower your lipids, etc. you might seriously want to think about pharmaceuticals.

Regrettably, several of my family members have a heriditary disorder that interferes with proper use and disposal of cholesterol. In my grandparents’ generation this tended to cause death in the 40’s. In my parent’s generation, mulitple medical procedures, cardiac symptoms, and death in the late 60’s (although my mom is beating the odds). In my generation, thanks to better management, looks like it will be cardiac symptoms in the 50’s, medical procedures even later, and a normal lifespan with much less debilitation.

So getting a handle on things now can have a huge impact on the rest of your life.

But QtM is absolutely right that you start with diet and exercise - getting better health in general will certainly not hurt you in any case.

The statins (lipitor, mevacor, etc) are absolute wonder drugs for those individuals who make too much/break down too little cholesterol. A true godsend for those with “metabolic syndrome” , or diabetes with hypertension and elevated cholesterol, a truly deadly triad.

Back in my research days at Hopkins, we had a little girl, age 11 or so, whose cholesterol level was 1400. Unfortunately she was already experiencing symptoms of early heart disease. She weighed about 87 pounds, and ate an ultra low-fat diet. She required plasmapheresis every few months to lower her cholesterol, and reduce the cholesterol deposits which were actually visible under her skin on her face and arms. Sometimes we got her cholesterol down into the 700’s for a while. I wish we’d had statins then.

Yeah, my mom has the “mild” version of that - the cholesterol deposits didn’t start showing up on her skin until she was in her 20’s. She was always really self-concious about them, even had the ones on her face removed, but they came back.

Think they’ve managed to get her cholesterol down to the 380’s with statins. Which is horrible for most people but a miracle for her.