Will Florence outcomes impact midterm elections?

I may be way off base with this, but I admit I’m watching with morbid fascination to see what happens in the aftermath of Hurricane Florence. Naturally, the best outcome would be that all the hype turns out to be wrong and there is very little damage to life or property. That seems unlikely, though.

So, if Florence is pretty catastrophic, and it is up to the Feds to provide an emergency response, how do you think it will play out? Would a spectacularly competent response help the Republicans? Would a slow, disorganized response help the Dems?

Mind you, I don’t wish disaster on anyone. For the sake of all the people in the path of the hurricane, I hope they are helped immediately to whatever extent is necessary. But it’s going to be interesting to see what happens over the coming weeks.

Am I the only one thinking this way?

I wish the Democrats would play hardball and run ads showing all the red state senators who voted against Sandy relief and yet will support money for Florence. Ted Cruz in particular.

The number of drowning deaths in the prison South Carolina won’t evacuate might have an effect. But it might even *help *the Republicans. :frowning:

I am sure they will. Beto’s odds seem to be improving…

Knowing how Trump is an stenographer of FOX, and Hannity has the ear of Agent Orange, this bit of news is disturbing:

I think what is likely to happen is that Dems will view the response as slow and disorganized, while Republicans will veiw the response as spectacularly competent. So in the end they will go on as if nothing had happened.

Immediately following Florence might be a good time to fire Mueller - everyone’s attention will be focused on hurricane damage, so maybe it would get less coverage. A horrifying thought.

ETA - that was a comment related to post #5.

Wait, can he fire Mueller directly and effective immediately? Because if not, if he needs some kind of Saturday Night Massacre or anything close to it, then it would take longer than the typical news cycle. If he’s unlucky, the actual firing would hit RIGHT when hurricane interest wanes and the media is looking for the Next Big Story.