Will Leo Win His Oscar?

Haven’t seen The Revenant, but the trailer looked good. Leo’s a talented guy and he’s probably due an Oscar. This year? Dunno. Given the other talent he’s likely to be up against, I’ll guess… no.

I always thought he ought to’ve played Robert Todd Lincoln in Spielberg’s Lincoln film: http://housedivided.dickinson.edu/sites/lincoln/files/2013/06/Robert-Todd-Lincoln-2.jpg

I don’t think Leo is a hack and a fraud, but really, just getting mauled by a bear and crawling 200 miles through the snow afterward is not sufficient to merit the Award! It’s for serious actors playing transsexual holocaust survivors ONLY.

I love Leo and think he is a great actor and he has been for a long time but I couldn’t imagine him winning for this role. I actually preferred the performances of Tom Hardy and Domhnall Gleeson. However with the way things work, in terms of competition, as outlined by** MovieMogul** maybe he gets it. But I think a lot of voters will think like** Evil Captor**'s first sentence and assume everyone else will vote for Leo so they won’t.

Gary Oldman?

He should have won Best Supporting Actor for Gilbert Grape, but he messed up and went the Full Retard.

Someone pointed out somewhere that as legacies go, it’s better to have people ask “why didn’t he win an Oscar?” than “why did he win an Oscar?”.

Only if Steve Harvey announces it.

The poll choices are false dilemmas, but I do like Leo and think he will win this year because I thought his performance was worthy and don’t think anyone likely to be his competition had a worthy performance, except McKellen and possibly Fassbender. But I think he beats those two. That’s at least how I feel. Who knows how the conglomerate of people who vote for such things feel about it. It can be such a whim. But I’d certainly vote for Leo given the opportunity.

I have never been huge into the “Leo deserves an Oscar”, and I don’t think he deserved it for the movies he was nominated for.

That being said, and having not even seen the movie, I 1000% guarantee that he wins this year. It’s a fact.

Care to make it interesting? US$20 says he doesn’t win.

It should be Matt Damon.

He was very, very good in The Martian.

I’m not a big Leo fan, but he will win, and I would bet on it too.

Oh man I totally forgot I made that prediction!

Screw money let’s wager something we can exchange. Shot Glass? Coffee Mug? Book? Let’s actually get something for this

He is the favorite to win now. I liked Matt Damon in the Martian, but I do think Leo is going to get it this time.

Matt Damon was perfectly good in “The Martian” but any number of actors could have turned in just as good a performance. There was nothing especially noteworthy about his work. If anything it was kind of striking to me how little his character seemed to be suffering from isolation and loneliness, thought that’s the script, not Damon.

I’d say DiCaprio is a heavy favourite. You can’t get even money betting on him; most betting markets have him at, AT WORST, a six to one favourite over the entire rest of the field.

Elendil’s Heir, for even money I will happily bet you $20 DiCaprio wins it.

As to this, we’ve had threads on it before, but Gary Oldman is probably the best actor to never win an Oscar, at least in modern times. I think Leo is a great actor but Oldman is a goddamned shapeshifter.

Alan Rickman was, bizarrely, never even nominated, despite being the kind of guy the Academy generally loves to nominate. Annette Bening, Glenn Close and Viola Davis have all been putting it remarkable performances in movie after movie basically forever and have never won.

Leo is practically a lock to win, for good or bad. It was a great (and difficult) performance; he’s due; and nobody else had a career-defining role to overtake him.

I worked in “The Industry” for many, many years, never seeing all that “many” films. Somewhat of a snob, don’t you know. But I’ve always been good at seeing through the hype, and the Golden Globe false promises. And I’ve consistently been able to guess the Academy’s mind-set because that’s what I’ve always paid attention to. That being said, I do consider Leo a hack, not a fraud, but there is are reasons why he hasn’t won. Better performances by other actors being number one. And, no, it’s not his turn. That does happen, but not yet. But the academy does vote in patterns and sequences, all mostly driven by the Producers Guild. You know, the guys with the money and power. And my feeling is that Cranston for TRUMBO is going get it. A true Hollywood story about a REALLY important Hollywood guy represented in a perfect performance. We’ll see. But no to Leo.

The problem is that TRUMBO, as a movie, pretty much sucks. SAG fell for it, but if it was really that well-liked, they would’ve given Helen Mirren a (undeserved) nod, like she had been earning elsewhere. Heck, the writing branch saw through the hagiography and didn’t give it a screenplay nod when they easily could have. Cranston is relatively new to movies as a lead and while he’s perfectly fine in the film, he’s not even as good as when incarnating Charlie Chaplin and Marilyn Monroe earned nods for Robert Downey Jr. and Michelle Williams, respectively.

I don’t really see anyone being a serious threat to Leo. After TITANIC blew up, it would’ve been the easiest thing in the world to cash in on that fame with lots of boilerplate romcoms and vanity projects. Instead, he’s shown an incredible amount of savvy, discipline and humility by associating with some of the most talented directors in the industry. Regardless of what you think of his skill, the Standing O at the Golden Globes shows that he’s well-respected. And if they ever needed an excuse to give him an Oscar this year (popular film, passionate performance), they have it.