Will Napolitano take a dive

It is pure bullshit to say, as the Washington Times does in the linked article, that the report in question “lists returning veterans among terrorist risks to the U.S.” It does list militias and “patriot” groups as terrorist risks, which they are, and returning veterans as a potential recruiting ground for such, which, sadly, they are; it would be dishonest to deny it. Didn’t we cover all this back in April? The RW position was all lies then and it’s all lies now.

And it remains a relevant issue. Southern Poverty Law Center Report: Return of the Militias:

This is a real threat which it would be irresponsible for DHS to ignore.

I fail to see how supporting the findings of a report commissioned by the previous administration counts as “focusing her attention” for the last 11 months.

Using flickster’s logic, it might be okay to say that the Klan tries to recruit white people, but not that white people may be targeted for recruitment to the Klan, because then you’re calling all white people racists.

Therefore, it might be okay to say that right wing extremist militias may try to recruit veterans, but not that veterans may be targeted for recruitment to right wing extremist militias.

That is probably the most politically correct thing I have ever heard. Thanks, flickster, for taking such a sensitive view towards the feelings of others. Is there a better term to use other than right wing militia? Perhaps free association of independently-minded, armed, and non-moderate-Americans?

Not so fast - can’t just blame this on some schlep screener

Obama: US intel had info ahead of airliner attack

Question is, will the sword they give her to fall on be sharp or dull?

Hold it, flickster, let’s not get ahead of ourselves. How come you’re not answering the request for specific examples of how DHS has been focused on those things you list in the OP? I’m sure you agree that not repudiating a factually accurate report doesn’t fit that bill. So, what is it that Napolitano and the DHS have done that does?

I suggest “violence-empowered victims of statism.”

Haha, that’s a good one.

QFT

I never understood her appointment. She has nothing on her resume that suggests Homeland Security. When I see her avoiding the word “terrorism” in a sentence it makes me doubt her ability to carry out the job.

Was her governorship in jeopardy that was benefited by a party replacement?

Neither did Tom Ridge. But Ridge, Chertoff, Napolitano, all were prosecutors at some point in their careers. Apparently that’s the established qualification.

Well, what are the requirements for that job? To my mind you need an administrator and political wonk. She is that. Kinda like the head of Boeing is not an aerospace engineer.

As for her governorship being in jeopardy it was but only because Arizona governors have term limits. She was approaching the end of that (another year or two…I forget).

From people I know who live in Arizona (and whose opinion I find value in) she is a smart person and was a pretty good governor.

Tom Ridge was criticized by Republicans for his lack of any background in the field. Chertoff had a background in security legislation.

Well done, sir.

She also lead the charge in some cross-border immigration stuff as Governor of Arizona. I think part of the point was to throw a bone to Conservatives who cared a lot about border and immigration issues. To show Obama wouldn’t be soft on immigration.

The thing about Napolitano is that everything was fine when we scooped through her luscious chocolate and intriguing vanilla. But it all went to crap when we hit her strawberry center. Nobody likes the strawberry.

This thing is starting to snow ball a bit. Every detail that comes out seems to indicate a bigger and bigger systematic failure. How many more red flags can a guy have?

What changes has Napolitano made to the system that allowed this failed attack to occur?

The only thing we know about her is that she can’t use the word “terrorism” in a sentence. It makes her look like a PC wonk. For her to come out after the incident and say all is in order is just a foot-in-mouth bit of fluff that can be overlooked. On the other hand the President has had to interrupt his vacation a couple of times to restate the seriousness of the situation.

No, and in fact, she was replaced by a Republican because Arizona does not have lieutenant governors. (The state Secretary of State takes over if the governor leaves.) But Napolitano’s term would have ended in January 2011, and she could not have run for re-election due to term limits. The border thing probably helped her security credentials and she was an early supporter of Obama’s - I think she was also considered a candidate for Attorney General.

All that said, no, I still don’t think she’s going anywhere.

I agree. She’s not going anywhere. There is no reasonable way to connect this failure to the Obama administration.