Will sitting too close to the TV, reading with bad light, etc., ruin your eyes?

Back in the glorious 50s, I got to second grade before someone figured out that I was doing so poorly because I couldn’t see the blackboard. My vision was measured at 20-400, and I had bifocals from age 7. I vividly remember the day I got my first glasses. It was like I had gone to another world.

My myopia was blamed (by my M.D. Dad) on my Mom having dosed me with too many vitamins. Vitamin D garnered special opprobrium. My brother and sister didn’t have any vision problems of note.

I didn’t read anything about vitamins in your revisited classic; has there been any actual, scientific, research done on this?

LINK TO COLUMN: http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/1107/will-sitting-too-close-to-the-tv-reading-with-bad-light-etc-ruin-your-eyes

Yes, it’s the Classic Question on the front page today, but in a few days it will sink into the depths of the Archives. Hence, providing a link in an OP saves searching time and helps keep us (mostly) on the same page.

I’ll call this to Cecil’s attention, to see whether he thinks an update is in order.

Off topic, but — one of my friends had a prismatic error with suppression of sight in one eye. He vividly remembers that he got vision correction – and perception of depth – at about the same time he became interested in girls. Suddenly, women weren’t just flat: they were in glorious 3D

So the bespectacled nerd stereotype has some factual basis. What about a computer screen display that doesn’t hold a steady picture? Mine started oscillating but I can’t afford to replace it. I’ve noticed my eyesight oscillating while away from the computer although it seems to be a temporary effect.