Will the inevitable ban of Hydrogenated oils have an effect on the food industry?

What, if any, will the eventual banning of hydrogenated oils (for health reasons) have on the food industry?
Will it cause shelf life to decrease?
Will food not taste as good?
Will food cost more/less?
I’ve read about the health hazards of Hydrogenated oils, but I haven’t seen anything that tells what will happen to the food industry (in the US) when/if it happens.

Eventual ban? Cite?

A) Who tells you that a ban of hydrogenated oils is inevitable? It doesn’t look inevitable to me. If the public dislikes the stuff, market forces will drive it out of the market.

B) Wiki on hydrogenation:

Sorry, I am reaching. Canada is on the verge, along with some European countries.

It’s sites like this.

And statements such as this that lead me to that conclusion.

“Has the world become a very tight web of deceit when it comes to what does and what does not constitute good nutrition? The question of the negative health effects associated with hydrogenated oils has been answered several times, yet the regulatory bodies of many countries and big food corporations continue to attempt to discredit the information presented by leading scientists from all over the world. What is wrong with this picture? When things to do make sense, we must question the motives of those groups that are not making sense in their arguments (corporations that produce food and the regulatory bodies that are lobbied by these same big corporations). We must have accountability. When man-made chemicals pose risk they must be eliminated expediently from our food supply. Do you feel safe knowing that government seems to protect industry at the expense of citizens?”

So, for the sake of the OP let’s pretend the US will ban HO’s (Hydrogenated Oils) from our diets.
What effect(s) would this have?

Maybe this is better suited for GD?

I think it’s the trans-fats that are the real problem with the various hydrogenated oils, not the saturates. After all, butter, coconut oil, palm oil, beef tallow, lard, etc… are all loaded with saturates.

If (and that’s a big IF), they were to get banned, then I think the food manufacturers would just go back to using butter, lard, etc… like they did in the days before hydrogenated vegetable oils. Things would probably taste better than they do now.

Soap prices might also go up some, because there would be more competition for their feedstocks.

IIRC, the hydrogenation process was originally invented for soapmaking, not for food.

Also, it seems to me that it might end up being cheaper in the long run for companies to figure out how to refine their hydrogenated vegetable oils to remove trans-fats, or somehow hydrogenate oils in a way that doesn’t create them, than to switch over completely.

Since when is trans fats synominous with hydrogenated fats?

The hydrogenation process often produces trans-fats simply as a chemical by-product (when isomerization rather than full saturation occurs). To my knowledge this is their only source – trans-fats are not deliberately introduced to any food and are not in and of themselves beneficial to storage life, etc.

IIRC the problem with trans-fats is that they raise “bad cholesterol” and lower “good cholesterol”.

My wife and I have been trying to avoid buying products with trans-fats (i.e. made using hydrogenated or partially hydrogenated oils). It’s not easy but it has forced us to buy fewer prepared foods, which I think is generally a good thing.