Will the right stop trying to stop trying to compare their crazies to the left's mild overreactions?

Well, if you call losing the House, the Senate and the Presidency working.
Not just losing the Senate but not taking a single Democratically held seat. And ceding a 60 member majority - given to you when a former Saturday Night Live comedian beats out the guy the GOP threw money at. And your side’s response? Claiming that it’s all great and that they’d rather have 40 true believer senate members than 60 GOP members that might be “soft” on some pet issue or another.

Not just losing the presidency but giving a black guy with the middle name Hussian and a preacher who screams “God damn America” the largest majority since 1964.

Health care reform isn’t even close to over - plus up to today it’s gotten out of the house and all but 1 Senate committee - that’s much much further towards passing than Clinton’s plan ever got.

I’d submit that it doesn’t work - it hasn’t since 2004. It’s put the GOP in a gigantic hole and they don’t even know it. Right now they seem to think they can say or do anything and they’ll win back house and senate majorities because that’s the way it worked in the nineties.

Good luck with that. I think this is the SDMB right wing apologists Big Lie. I’ve asked two different people claiming that phrase had wide currencty for some backup to their assertions and have got nothing (or some lame excuse of “I was just using a phrase that they MIGHT have used since they said stuff like it”.)

Good points all around. They’ve still managed to take control of the health care debate and turn it around on the Democrats, though. I’d suggest that the crumbling of the House of Bush you describe can be attributed not to the failure of their propaganda methods but their inability to actually govern once they’ve scared people into electing them.

I think it’s their failed policies that put them in this hole. The fearmongering and lies put them on top.

I’ll believe it won’t when I see it. Or don’t see it. Or whatever. I hope you’re right, but having watched the Bush Administration’s antics and those of their followers with some interest I don’t think you are. My faith in the American electorate to not be suckers has not been restored yet.

As blatant propagandists go, Moore is very conducive to intelligent political discourse.

What the hell is ZOTting?

Neither of them is as bad as the rightwingers.

More importantly, they are two people. As opposed to the swarms and swarms and swarms of birthers and deathers and Obama-is-a-terrorist/Antichrist/communist lunatics.

In fact (as many of us keep pointing out), when two people out of thousands posted videos to a moveon.org contest that made Bush-Hitler comparisons, videos that MoveOn did not endorse and took down within a couple of days, the right wing blogs and punditry lost their collective poop. If such comparisons had made it into more mainstream sources it would have been an ungodly huge deal.

IIRC, Sheehan didn’t start out crazy, and was initially a good emotional argument against the war. Once she started going off the rails, the Democratic mainstream backed off of her pretty quickly. At least, that’s my recollection, but I’m open to correction if I’ve misremembered it.

Michael Moore is still popular in liberal circles, but I don’t think I’ve ever seen him criticized as crazy. Even his most ardent critics seem to view him as dishonest and manipulative, but not deranged. I haven’t seen Farenheit 9/11, though. What in particular was crazy (as opposed to incorrect or heavily spun) about it?

Another one of those “Left wing shit doesn’t stink as bad as right wing shit.” threads.

The OP even mentioned something about how at least the left doesn’t forge documents.
Loyalty to the tribe, the belief that “others”,are somehow different and inferior, the insistence that “our” group is somehow better than the other guys’.

Were still only halfway from the tree.

Luckily, you do get the guns at the halfway-from-the-tree point. So, when you’re a gubernatorial candidate in Idaho discussing the upcoming statewide wolf hunt, and someone in the audience asks about buying “Obama tags”, you can reply, “We’d buy some of those!”.

Man, I remember when Democratic candidates for governor joked about killing Bush. That was awesome.

I’d just like to mention here that Bush was never in the national guard; Dan Rather has the documents to prove it.

So, Pastor Steven Anderson of the Faithful Word Baptist Church in Tempe, AZ gave a sermon the other day. The usual Christian stuff. You know, stuff like:

and

and

Good old-fashioned values. Then, he ramps up to the best bit:

My bold.

All well and good, right? I mean, this is just the kind of stuff you hear in UU churches all the time. The kind of talk that gets bandied about in Ethical Culture meetings all over this great land. So, anyway, there was a fairly new member in Pastor Steve’s church that Sunday. A young man with a dream. A dream, an AR15, and a handgun.

That young man’s name was Chris Broughton. And he brought his dream and his righteous firepower to the town hall debate where the president was appearing just a couple of days after that sermon.

Man, even that “God Damn America” guy didn’t actually go full out and wish actual, literal death on anybody.

Pastor Steve is a jugful o’ crazy.

I think he’s the same guy who claims to have been beaten by the border patrol.

A belief that sometimes happens to be true. Such as this time.

This is a whoosh, right?

To quote myself from This post :

:dubious: Nobody on the SDMB is a birther, either, which is what the OP was talking about. As to the idea that it was only some kind of rare fringe that was making the Bush=Hitler comparison, don’t be absurd. Moveon.org is a major democratic player. Keith Olberman is not fringe, nor is Michael Moore; all made implicit or explicit comparisons.

Here’s a couple galleries’ worth of the rank-and-file-nutballs:

http://brain-terminal.com/posts/2009/08/20/hitler-comparisons

http://semiskimmed.net/bushhitler.html

1. What exactly was a misrepresentation? There was in fact a move made about a hypothetical assassination of Bush, and it was in fact made by a man politically opposed to Bush’s agenda. It was not some sort of explicit exhortation to violence, but I never said it was.

Certainly in general terms, it’s not hard to find assholes on both sides who like to throw out the rhetoric of political violence. Scroll down herefor a gallery of people who, if we take them literally, want Bush dead.

1. No, it would be Tu Quoque if I were implying that the right’s excesses were somehow mitigated or excused because of the left’s. I explicitly did not do that; I make no defense of extremists on either side. I’m quite ready to acknowledge that there are conservative assholes, and even, alas for me, libertarian ones. And I dislike them all; I’m foursquare anti-asshole. So, sorry, no Tu Quoque.

You lumped the movie in with protests, assaults, and threats, and then said it was the work of assholes.

Why?

Furt, you’re full of shit. You weren’t just casually mentioning a movie that depicted Bush’s fictional death, you were equating it with all the batshit crazy stuff your side yanks out of it’s collective asses.

You either knew full well that that movie was in no way a call for Bush’s assassination, or you didn’t have a clue because you’ve never seen it and only took the word of your fellow loon-balls about what it was all about.