Will the Toronto Symphony Orchestra select my music?

• Yes
  • No
0 voters

Today is the day I find out if my music will be selected or not by the TSO. Two of my composition professors think the piece is entirely appropriate for the orchestra, but of course we all acknowledge it is a highly competitive competition.

Peer into your crystal balls and make a prediction! :slight_smile:

I thought about voting “No” on the principle of the old theatrical “break a leg” superstition to give you a boost of good luck, but I went with my gut feel instead.

Incidentally, a fraudulent charge for an annual subscription to the TSO recently turned up on one of my credit cards. Either it was a mistake or I was being victimized by an exceptionally classy fraudster. :wink:

That’s funny! Or maybe they want you to come and hear my piece (if it is selected)!

To be honest, I added the poll mainly to be funny. I didn’t want to just make a post saying “Hey, today I find out.” :slight_smile:

I guess I should vote…

I’m going to be checking my email like 10 billion times today.

Sadly, although perhaps unsurprisingly, it was a no.

IT’S RIGGED!!!

[I’m sorry. I’d bet it was a beautiful piece]

The good news is now I can release it to the public. :slight_smile:

We await with bated breath! (Not kidding.)

Hey, even getting to the point where it was a “maybe” is a really big deal.

So while my piece was not selected by the TSO, I have been invited to a composers workshop! They said they saw promise in my work. So that’s exciting. I only have to pay for travel (it is just a short train ride).

Awesome!

:+1:

Best of luck to the OP.

From the thread title I thought it was going to be about submitting requests to the orchestra, like the ones you call in to the radio station.

One time Mrs. J. and I were having a breakfast buffet in a hoity-toity place that had a harpist playing classical tunes for the diners. I barely resisted the temptation to go up to her and request “Why Don’t We Do It In The Road?”.

That’s a big deal – congratulations!

Have you considered including a Mahler hammer soli in a future composition? I think audiences are finally ready for that.

Takes notes… :slight_smile: