William Goldman dead at 87.

Perhaps best known for Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, All the President’s Men and The Princess Bride, and for his pithy analysis of Hollywood bigshots and studio strategy: “Nobody knows anything.”

Very talented guy. May he rest in peace.

Link

The writer of Princess Bride and Butch Cassidy & The Sundance Kid has gone to that big scriptwriter’s bullpen in the sky.

simulpost

Inconceivable!

He’s only *mostly *dead.

RIP, one of the best.

Oh dear me, maybe 2018 got jealous of 2016 and decided to try and catch up while it still has time…!

R.I.P. William Goldman.

Is it safe…?

There are 2 duplicate threads:
https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?p=21326834

There are two duplicate threads:
https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?p=21326783

Heh. I started my thread exactly one minute before the other one. No wonder it didn’t show up when I searched!

I just saw this. Princess Bride is one of my favorite movies. He did an excellent job moving his book into a screenplay.

Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who tells you otherwise is trying to sell you something.

Oh, and merging.

He also wrote the novel/screenplay for Marathon Man, one of my favorites.

Thanks, Chronos!

Here’s his IMDb page. You really have to check out that run from ~1969-1990.

Screenplay for All the President’s Men. Imagine trying to turn that book into a compelling story. And then succeeding wonderfully.

He wrote a couple of wonderful books about screenwriting that I enjoyed a lot, Adventures in the Screen Trade and Which Lie Did I Tell?

I remember reading an interview where William Goldman said he never got enough credit for coming up with the “Follow the money” line in ATPM.

All of the above, and I liked Magic as well.

I heard him give the commencement address at our mutual alma mater, Oberlin College, in 1985, I think it was. He talked about people often mistaking him for the British author William Golding, who wrote Lord of the Flies. After politely correcting the first five dozen or so over the years, he just began nodding and saying thanks when complimented on the book.