William Shatner heads off to the final frontier (space, not death)

Everyone else is refering to the Twilight Zone episode where Shatner is a passenger on an airplane and sees a gremlin outside on the wing messing with the plane’s engine. Someone linked to its Wikipage upthread under the name of Nightmare at 20,000 Feet. They remade it later with John Lithgow as the passenger, hence the Third Rock reference.

I know, but that’s too obvious. So is Third Rock. You can’t feel superior to the rabble if you don’t cite something more obscure. :smiley:

In the episode Frozen Dick, Dick (John Lithgow) believed he saw something on the wing of the airplane that he and Mary (Jane Curtin) were aboard, getting them both thrown off. So that was a callback to Lithgow’s segment in the Twilight Zone movie.

So when Dick met the Big Giant Head, they had that common experience in-show, as well as in their respective Twilight Zone stories.

I hope he pretends to see a gremlin.

There should be a band playing the Star Trek theme to send him off.

Better yet, if the Shat is listening during the launch.

He should climb on the hood nosecone and hang on.

Somehow, I think this would be more appropriate:

Or perhaps this:

I want him to sing his rendition of “MacArthur Park” the whole time he’s up there.

Or maybe “Taxi.”

… And me, I’m flyin’ in my taxi, takin’ tips … and gettin’ stoned.

Looks like weather has delayed the launch eight days to Wednesday of next week. They’d best get him up there as quickly as possible, as each passing day is a risk he won’t be around anymore.

No, it’s only delayed by one day, until the 13th, two days from now.

Excellent. Still, they’d best get him up there sooner rather than later.

:Liftoff in just a little over half an hour. Streaming live on the Blue Origin site:

The final frontier…

T minus 22 minutes and counting…

4 minutes to go

[VOICE OF CLINT HOWARD]: Sir, it looks like a giant…

He’s back!

I was more interested in watching how the rocket booster landed. Fins extended from the top, to keep it oriented vertically. Then the rocket fired to slow it down. Then, at the last moment, the legs extended for it to land on.