William Shatner heads off to the final frontier (space, not death)

No, this isn’t an RIP thread or anything like that. Shatner, the 90 year old Canadian actor who gained fame as Capt. James T. Kirk on the science fiction show Star Trek, will be taking off on the next flight of Jeff Bezos’ Blue Origin rocket next week. “Yes, it’s true; I’m going to be a ‘rocket man!’” the 90-year-old tweeted. He added: “It’s never too late to experience new things.”

You may want to ask a mod to add “(not RIP)” or something to the title of your thread. I knew that it was about his upcoming rocket trip (because I’d seen several mentions of it in the news over the past few days), but the title alone is both (a) a huge teaser, and (b) very likely to make people browsing the boards think that Shatner has died.

Hopefully he won’t wear a red shirt.

Damn, dude’s already 90. Good for him!

As the article notes, he’ll become the oldest person to go into space, surpassing Wally Funk, the female astronaut who flew on a Blue Origin trip with Jeff Bezos a few months ago, at age 82.

Hopefully, he wont see something on the wing.

I’ll second that, I was unaware of the space flight thing and assumed he’d died…

Thirded… Jesus, I nearly had a heart attack.

I heard this on the news a week or two ago, and when I heard Shatner’s name, I automatically assumed he had just died.

Boldly go, Bill, boldly go.

I just put a mod flag on my earlier post, asking about an edited title.

fourthed, I cursed out loud and scared the cats.

And he looks better than he did in “The Deadly Years” old-age makeup.

On the other hand, despite my fondness for him, his acting ability has always been on a par with a corpse.

Oh, yeah, my reaction wasn’t out of fondness for ‘William Fucking Shatner’, but more a commentary on the immutable scythe of Death.

I’ve never seen a corpse consume the backdrop with the enthusiasm of The Good Captain.

Title edited

^like

Talk about your “Ancient Astronauts”.

You…shouldn’t…talkabouthimthatway!

I wonder if he’ll encounter any six-foot-tall Amazons with green hair and steel brassieres?