William Windom passes away

I really didn’t know he had still been alive, but popular character actor Wiliam Windom died Saturday at the age of 88.

He played many roles on both the big screen and small screen. His first role was as Mr. Gilmer, the prosecutor in To Kill A Mockingbird. On TV, he starred in The Farmer’s Daughter and My World and Welcome To It, which was based on the writings of James Thurber. One of his most popular roles was that of Commodore Matthew Decker in the Star Trek episode “The Doomsday Machine.” He also had a recurring role on Murder, She Wrote as Dr. Seth Hazlitt.

http://www.tvmediainsights.com/2012/08/remembering-william-windom/

R.I.P., Bill.

An old, familiar face. :frowning: He had a TV show called My World and Welcome to It ~1969, based on, of all things, James Thurber. Used Thurber’s cartoons, which provided commentary on the story. Pretty sophisticated, eh? My parent’s loved the show… it was my senior year of college, so I was too busy out running around to sit home and watch TV with the aged P’s.

I used to watch My World and Welcome to It and loved it. The little girl who played his daughter, Lisa Gerritsen, was a real up-and-comer at the time, appearing in many shows and movies. Played Cloris Leachman’s daughter on The Mary Tyler Moore Show and one or two spin-offs. Then poof! Just disappeared.

RIP, Bill.

RIP Commodore Decker.

I’ve always liked him.

I just did a google search and it seems none of the major media outlets are reporting his death. It’s mostly message boards doing so. It’s sad if the media simply doesn’t care as he had a long career.

I will always remember him as Commodore Decker. What an indelible image!

I saw him in person about 20 years ago doing his one-man show about James Thurber. He was quite entertaining.

For me, he’ll always be Mr. Gilmer, the prosecuting attorney in To Kill a Mockingbird.

If this holds up, this will leave Susan Harrison, mother of Darva Conger as the Last Character in Search of an Exit.

Funny how many of us remember him from MWaWtI. It only lasted 26 episodes but made a deep impression.

Two Twilight Zone episodes, too.

The last time I saw him in something was Dopamine from 2003. Kept fairly busy for a long time.

I remember pointing him out to the kids in some Mathnet segments. They were blah. Kids.

I remember watching My Life and Welcome To It way back in 1969, it got me started reading Thurber.

Oh crap, I was thinking about him while mowing the lawn yesterday. That’s another obscure actor or author I’ve killed like that!

That Twilight Zone episode was the first thing I thought of. Get me outta here.