Willow -- the series {Starts November 30th 2022}

I’ve watched the first four episodes. Together, they make a great Act I. Plenty of interaction among the characters, good character development, enough plot progression to keep things moving forward. Some nice callbacks to the movie, but done in a way that keeps new viewers from feeling lost. I highly recommend to anyone who like fantasy adventure.

I like Graydon, and feel he will become useful at some point (language translation? some historical fact?), but I don’ like the Graydon-Elora thing – she is in love with Arik! Otherwise maybe I could maybe see them together, but that seems to be a sticking point. (there is also the arranged marriage to Kit, but that seems easier to work around)

Brian

I wonder if the new girl (Lili according to credits) will be the new love interest for Airk, making an opening for Graydon - Elora. Airk was portrayed as having many girlfriends, but Dove/Elora was portrayed as different. Maybe we will get Graydon - Lili?

Brian

I’d be utterly shocked if it didn’t play out that way.

I find it an interesting twist that in the beginning it seemed to be setting up Kit to be the protagonist, but she has turned out to not only be a side character, but a petty, jerkish unlikeable one.

Series is still going great. Lots of character development and interaction. The actual plot continues to be very by the numbers; I haven’t been surprised yet. But the execution is perfect.

The musical scoring is great and I love the music choices for the end credits.

Just started this last night so only 2 and a half eps in. I’m a big, old school pulpy swords and sorcery fan so I’m enjoying it. There are even parts where Warwick Davis manages to deliver his lines in an almost believable way, so that’s a bonus…

OB

So Graydon becomes useful – harnessing Kenneth and zapping a bad guy with magic. There was some chemistry between him and Elora though he had to say he loved her out loud. At least he knows she loves Airk.
Got to be the shallowest sea ever - they don’t even sink into the mud that is deep enough that Kenneth can swim in it.
Boorman waiting for the “perfect moment” to try the cuirass made some sense, but he passes up a good moment only to try at when it wasn’t useful…
Not sure what is up with Lili.

Brian

Well, I don’t think she’s one of the good guys. She’s also a lot older than she looks (if she was once the princess of Cashmere who was kidnapped who the doddery old Paladin of Cashmere was on a quest to rescue). I can’t, off the top of my head, come up with any other words meaning ‘evil old woman’, but I’m sure there must be something appropriate… :smiling_face:

OB

They’re calling it the “Shattered Sea”. Very post-apocalyptic.

We know who lives in the Immemorial City. And that they use mind games.

Yes I also thought Lili might be you know who, but I’m not convinced yet.

Brian

Just wanted to say that I really like the costuming in this show. A lot of it’s likely stock wardrobe reused but I like the mix of standard ‘medieval’ fantasy with some more modern stylings. This, combined with the contemporary soundtrack and irreverent script, gives it a nice little fairytale-punk aesthetic that I’m enjoying. Not enough denim in ‘higher’ fantasy shows IMO. :blush:

Does anyone remember if the original movie had a similar mish-mash aesthetic in the costuming? It’s been a while since I’ve watched it but I don’t remember it having anything other than the standard heavy metal fantasy stylings that would have been common in the 80s. Maybe I should just watch the film again while waiting for the final ep!

OB

I said I wasn’t convinced Lili was you-know-who, I didn’t say it was unlikely…
I noticed this before but didn’t mention it – the voice of Madmartigan is Jack Kilmer – Val’s son.
I’m glad we saw the two headed beast from the movie in the final scene.
Is this really a 3 season show? Guess time will tell.

Brian

I liked the season finale well enough, no real surprises plot wise - but this show isn’t about subverting the tropes, and although the action is all well and good, it’s the character interactions and the witty script that make it watchable I think. I’m glad Graydon is still around (less so Airk), although it might have been nice for such a fluffy fantasy show to go a bit GoT and kill off a main character in such a perfunctory way…

OB

I noticed that the two female woodcutters in an early episode were wearing completely modern clothing, so obvious I thought there was going to be a time/dimension travel twist. Their clothes even had visible little ring rivet things

Just watched it, and you’ve said exactly what I was going to say. I really love the actors and the direction.

Got to the end. I don’t think I’ll watch any more. Clearly I’m not the target audience, which appears to be really immature 13 year old girls with severe daddy issues.

…as a mature 49-year-old guy that doesn’t have daddy issues who loved the show unconditionally, I’m not sure that this is correct.

Agreed and I’m in my 50s.

I like it, too, though I do have the heart of a 13-year-old girl. (And if anyone ever finds it, I’m in big trouble.)