Willow -- the series {Starts November 30th 2022}

A new trailer for the Willow streaming series has dropped. It is a sequel to the movie of the same name. Frankly my memory of the movie is hazy – I do have some fond memories but how much of that is nostalgia I cannot say. Of course I hope it is good (there are few reasons to hope something is bad(

Brian

The title made me wonder if Alyson Hannigan was reprising her role.

The only thing I remember of the movie is “Which finger holds the power to change the world?”, and the master magician holds up the fingers of his hand. To which the correct answer is the apprentice’s finger.

Oh, yeah, and Madmardigan the (maybe) master swordsman trapped in the hanging cage.

Willow came out at a time when High Fantasy was considered a low grade genre, but now its sequel is coming out amongst shows and movies that have some of the most spectacular fantasy settings ever imagined. It will have to do something unique to stand out. I think the tone is consistent to the original, at least. Looking forward to it!

Warwick Davis named his little person casting agency after that movie. And Val Kilmer met his wife on the set.

Even though Willow is one of my favorite guilty pleasure movies, I just don’t think it can work without Val Kilmer. The movie walked a very fine line between seriousness and silliness, and Val Kilmer was the main thing that made it work. (For me at least, obviously many people were completely turned off by the whole thing). I’ll give the series a chance though. I thought The Mandalorian was going to be crap and it turned out to be the best Star Wars since Star Wars, so Disney has been doing some things right lately.

Never saw the original movie, I confess, but this trailer looks good!

Looks nice, but I wish they had used James Horner’s original soundtrack in the trailer. I mean, they hinted at it, but why not go all in?

Trailer said November 30th, should I add that to the title?

Sure, that could be helpful.

Brian

I remember that the bad guys were from a place that was not called Loc-Nar, because that was the name of the malevolent green orb in Heavy Metal: The Movie, but which sounded a lot like that.

Google tells me it was “Nockmaar.”

Ah, nominative predestination. A guy named “Madmardigan” is obviously a bit… touched.

I loved the film. I hope the series doesn’t sully the memory.

Watched the first two episodes. The fantasy is pretty generic for today, but it has some humor about it.

I rewatched the original about a month ago, then watched the first episode this weekend. (Didn’t have time for the second.)

The original stands the test of time, except for pacing. My kids got bored with all the travel time.

The first episode was good. Nothing unexpected, it goes from trope to trope. But it does it well, and the leads are all likeable. It promises a good tale of adventure with lots of character interaction.

Good enough for me.

I finally watched the first episode. They introduced the characters well and efficiently. They got to the story telling swiftly. They didn’t drag out the mystery past the first episode, big kudos for that.

All in all it was well paced and a relief after the lack of plot movement or interesting characters in House of Dragons and the many problems with Rings of Power.

I’m guessing Disney spent a very lesser amount to make what appears to be a superior show.

I hope the rest of the episodes are as good or better.

It was great to see Joanne Whalley back as Sorsha. It is a shame Val Kilmer just couldn’t make an appearance. The cure for his throat cancer is pretty harsh.

We watched the second episode last night. Just as good as the first. It’s interesting–I’ve had no surprises, but it’s very entertaining to watch and I want to see what happens next. Each character gets some development, there’s some interaction among them, stuff happens, and the plot advances. The acting is good, the direction is good, the editing is great.

Watched the first episode the other day. It’s fine, but I’m still waiting for Willow to show up. The movie was called “Willow” and it was about Willow, not all of these dirty Daikinis.

? Willow shows up in the first episode.

Barely.

It’s an 8 episode series. Having a principal character show up at the end of the first episode is pretty normal.