Wimbledon 2010

The unflappable Fed v the flapping Falla.

Falla serving for match, but Fed breaks back. I’m missing my 1st WC game for this.

You could be seeing one of the biggest shocks in Wimbledon history tho’. Or one of the best comebacks.

Keep the updates coming. I’m streaming the WC but can’t stream the tennis

Fed saves a break point and holds to lead 6-5. He’s got a tiebreak at the minimum.

Compared to the French Open site, the Wimbledon website really sucks. Maybe it’s the heavy traffic but the scores are not updating steadily and sometimes they just get stuck.

Tiebreak 4th set. Fed 2-1 down in sets

Try here BBC Sport - Tennis - Wimbledon: Roger Federer-Alejandro Falla as it happened

It’s not point-by-point though

Fed takes tiebreak 7-1

I’m already a hour late for my optician’s appointment - should be a quick last set tho’.

I’m getting good results using the “SlamTracker” on the Wimbledon site. Shows the scoreboard for the game and seems to be updating quickly on every point.

Football in one ear. Tennis in one eye. Hopefully my boss doesn’t come by :smiley:

SlamTracker has always been good. Thanks for the tip, I’m using that now. The matches in progress page is what was hanging up, and I hate the layout, too. It worked most of the time, like when Fed fought off those three break points in the third set, and it worked in the tiebreak. It seems like it got stuck during the early parts of the sets for some reason. Anyway we’re on to the fifth. That easy tiebreak must be doing wonders for Federer’s confidence.

And Federer gets a quick break to start the fifth!

Wow. He killed the final set. Just stepped up another gear and blew the guy away.

Loved Federer’s post-match interview. When asked if he thought this match was a wake-up call, Federer said absolutely not; Falla played great. Love that answer.

Wow! Just Wow. What a match to watch. Falla should walk away from that match feeling good about his play. I know all he will think about is the tie break and the last set, but he played fantastically for the first four sets.
Loved Roger’s interview. He acknowledged that he was out played for most of the match. Fitness and mental toughness made the difference.

By the way, Nikolay Davydenko also lost the first two sets, but has pushed his match against Kevin Anderson [a South African not named Wayne Ferreira] to a fifth set. Davydenko leads 5-4, so they’re in crunch time.

From what I can tell Federer didn’t play badly in that match. I think he had 101 winners (21 aces) and 40 errors. I don’t know how it looked set by set but that’s respectable. His first serve percentage wasn’t that good, and Falla definitely handled his second serve. Federer also double faulted seven times, which isn’t horrible in a five set match but is a lot for him. Falla had 64 winners (8 aces) and 39 errors.

French Open champ (and fifth seed) Francesca Schiavone is out. She lost in three sets to Vera Dushevina. That’s a pretty tough first-round match and it’s not like anyone thought Schiavone was about to win the French-Wimbledon double. But she did make the quarterfinals at Wimbledon last year. Then again I see she also lost in the first round in Paris last year, so who knows.

Djokovic is having trouble with Olivier Rochus, of all people. I see Rochus beat Safin at Wimbledon years ago (Safin hated grass for some reason, and usually played horribly on it). But Djokovic is not as much of a headcase as Safin… yet… and he’s not so bad at Wimbledon. He’s also eight inches taller than Rochus. And yet they’re tied at a set each and Rochus is up 4-2 in the third. If Rochus gets a second break this could get ugly.

I see Cilic just got dumped in straight sets in the first round. I’m surprised. That ends a pretty good run for him at slams - quarters at the U.S., semis in Australia, fourth round in Paris. He’s never done too much at Wimbledon but I didn’t think he’d lose to Florian Mayer either. Mayer’s got a better ranking than I thought, though.

Like Federer (and only in this way ;)), Davydenko completed his comeback, winning 9-7 in the fifth. Roddick won easily against another American. Mardy Fish and Taylor Dent also won - shades of a U.S. tennis future that never happened, I guess. Venus is about to finish an easy win. Henin won her match and Wickmayer won a rematch against Alison Riske, who is starting to get talked up as a promising player.

They traded breaks again and Rochus won the set 6-3. It looks from the numbers like he is playing clean, conservative tennis, and Djokovic is hitting a lot of winners but missing much too often. 18 winners (zero aces) and seven errors for Rochus, 58 winners (11 aces) and 39 errors for Djokovic. He’s giving away a lot of points.

Laura Robson out in the first round - hardly a surprise as she got a wildcard entry and faced the fourth seed, Jankovic. A creditable performance, though, breaking JJ as she served for the match.