Win2k boot problem after installation of Linux

After installing Mandrake 8.2, and after LILO list comes up, I choose NT2 (NT is a failed installation of Win XP), and once I choose NT2, a message come up saying that “NTLDR couldn’t be loaded” or something, I have to reboot. What should I do to boot up Win2k again?

I installed Redhat 7.2 alongside a previous XP Pro installation, and the same thing happened to me once. LILO or GRUB may have overwritten the MBR (Master Boot Record). When I got that error, I just rebooted, and it worked fine for me after that. If the error had persisted, my next course of action would have been to use the Windows CD to repair any errors, or reinstall missing files. I know XP has this feature, I can’t remember if W2K does. I don’t know what that would do to LILO, though, so take that with a grain of salt.

Although I don’t know how you would go about recovering your system in this case, I’d just like to point out that if you’re planning on installing Linux alongside Win2k/XP, you should strongly consider not installing LILO/GRUB at all, and just booting from a floppy instead. The advantages of booting from a floppy are:

1. You will definitely not overwrite the MBR and mess up your 2k/XP partition.

2. If you ever want to reinstall or remove Linux, all you will have to do is format the partition and start over.

If you just want to set the MBR back to boot Windows, you can use bootpart.

With bitter experience, I second the idea of booting Linux from a floppy.

Is this particularly for Win2K and XP? I have 98 and Debian Linux, and use LILO to choose which one I want. I know nothing about Linux (my SO does all the work), but I have never had any problems.