Windows 10 Issues - Chrome & File Explorer

I’m sorry for posting this here, but I don’t know where else to go. I’ve tried checking a thousand dedicated forums to Microsoft and Windows 10, but none of the solutions worked and I’m quite pissed off. I’ve just downgraded from Windows 10 back to Windows 8.1 after experiencing problems with Google Chrome and Windows File Explorer.

I free-upgraded to Windows 10 in September. Initially, everything worked fine. A month later, both Chrome and FE started behaving erratically, that is, not starting at all, or taking at least 20 minutes to start. I have a fairly new and fast HP laptop, and I never experienced any of this shit with any previous version of Windows.

I went online and looked for an answer. Turns out I’m not the only person suffering from this. I tried a long range of solutions to the problem (and it IS one problem with both issues, because they happen simultaneously and get temporarily solved simultaneously). I found videos on Youtube, message board posts and blog entries all dealing with the same issues, and I tried each and every one of these solutions, but they’d only work for one restart and roll-back when I switch the computer off.

Some of what I’ve tried:

• Deleted Browser Helper Object HKEY from RegEdit
  • Reset Winsock through CMD with the command >netsh winsock reset
  • Uninstalled Chrome, reinstalled it after cleaning all the residual files
  • Used Windows 10 recovery to reinstall Windows 10 without losing my files
  • Disabled my Kaspersky application control module
  • Uninstalled and reinstalled random apps I thought were behind the problem

and

• Just uninstalled the fucking thing altogether and back on Windows 8.1.

My question is: Can you please tell me if you’ve experienced the same problem, repeatedly as I have, and somehow managed to solve it?

Thanks in advance.

Blackstock, I have c/p your message to a friend who works with computers. Super computer savvy and knowledgeable young man. He just read it. He said he’s going to do some investigating. Not sure if anything will come of it, but stay tuned…

Yip. Happened to me when the system upgraded to 1511. And it wasn’t just those. I finally tracked it down to it just taking a long time to start programs. Chrome was the worst, since it starts itself every time you open a new tab.

I complained about it here before, saying it meant that Windows 10 wasn’t really ready for primetime, and got my ass chewed out by a guy who uses Windows 10 in his IT job.

I’m back on Windows 7, and it’s just so nice to have programs just work. Eventually, I plan to try a clean install of Windows 10, once I don’t mind having my computer out of commission for a while.

(I did notice that hte problem got a lot better when I used diagnostic mode or safe mode, which both turn off a bunch of services. But it still wasn’t as good as back on Windows 7, so I decided it wasn’t worth the effort to isolate it. Though maybe I’ll change my mind.)