Windows 7 rocks. Why did Microsoft obsolete it?

Or … you could just tap the WIN key that’s been sitting there between the CTRL key and the ALT key for the last twenty years, just waiting for some loving, and bring up the Start Menu, which hasn’t been removed at all, just reshaped. I mean, it’s really it’s just that simple.

Bonus tip: WIN+D takes you to the desktop, which is functionally identically to the Win7 desktop.

Protip: Rightclick in the bottom left corner to bring up a handy menu that includes all sorts of useless links, including the Command prompt, with or without Admin rights.

As for why? In the future, all the Big Money is going to come to Microsoft via the App Store.

You could turn off that tablety stuff in the RTM release, basically the version that came before the retail was released. My son got a laptop for Xmas and it came shipped with 8. I hate it. I went the Classic Shell route and I changed the registry to start on the desktop opposed to the Start screen at startup. However AFAIK you can’t totally disable the Start screen on retail. Also with the exception of Netflix I find that apps stink when compared to their respective programs. They are all big and pretty and set up for fingers but lack the information that the legacy programs show. Check out Skype’s app or Steam’s “The Big Picture” vs the standard programs. Boo Micro$oft… boo.

Fundamentally, though, it still works essentially the same way. I mean, you can still run programs from it the way you could in DOS, right?

I rarely used that key in the last 20 years, no reason to start now! And I hated the “reshaped” Start menu.

Lol where is the upvote button? The Classic Shell program has an XP shaped start menu too.

The illiterate of the future are not those that cannot read or write. They are those that can not learn, unlearn, relearn.
-Alvin Toffler

Well, the answer to the question in the title is: Because they exist to make money and they don’t do that unless they release new versions of their operating system on a regular basis.

But that’s ok. If you like Win7, there’s no reason to stop using it. Microsoft will support it for the foreseeable future.

Windows XP was released in 2001. Support for it will end on April 8, 2014. That’s about 13 years of support. Which is good, since XP just recently dropped below 40% market share.

Even if they support Win7 for only half as long, you’ll still have over 3 years to go before you have to worry.

My only problem with Win7 is that bar at the top of the screen.

You open IE and that damn bar still wants to stay on top when you need to click on something underneath it.

Is there a way to make that bar go away? (Permanently)

Steam’s Big Picture mode is an attempt to put PCs against consoles on the TV screen, not an attempt to bring gaming to the tablet interface. (Steamworks)
Don’t know if it will help, but PC gaming is quite a bit better than console gaming right now owing to the fact that all the consoles are really quite old (or in the case of Wii U, underpowered enough that they might as well be tech from the same era as Xbox 360/PS3).

So are desktops going the way of the book? Desktop is still my preferred computer, especially when actually doing work.

The command line hasn’t been DOS since Windows ME. cmd.exe is made to look like the DOS prompt, and most of the commands behave similarly, but there isn’t a bit of DOS left behind the scenes.

Command.com still exists in newer versions of Windows, but only for backwards-compatibility purposes. It isn’t really DOS either.

I’d be shocked to see this happen and time remotely soon. I’d guess the vast majority of PCs are bought by corporations to keep the drones productive. Plus markets like gaming and engineering, drafting, and lots of others need the raw horsepower desktops give and really don’t lend themselves very well to touch screen interfaces. Desktops may shrink in size and many people may move to all-in-ones but that’s different than tablets.

What bar? The Taskbar? If so go to Control Panel/Appearance and Customization and change taskbar location to bottom. Tick on “Auto-Hide the Taskbar” if you want it to disappear when you’re not mousing over it.

I’m sure everyone proficient in Windows 7 is perfectly capable of learning Windows 8 if they feel like it. That doesn’t mean they need to.

…even when accounting for how much PC gaming has been held back by most developers playing to the lowest common denominator of the current console generation.

I will still buy GTA V when it comes out on PC, and still expect it to be better than the Xbox version - but it’s still going to be completely cart-before-horse, like most games:
“Let’s put all of our development energy into getting this to work on eight-year-old hardware, and then port it over to PC, later, maybe, if we feel like it. We’ll make higher resolutions available on the PC, even if the actual resources are designed for an absolute max of 1280X720, and leave it to the modding community to tweak the game to exploit all the fancy new shaders that have become dirt-common in the last five years.”

</rant>

Not only that, no 3rd-party program will run on Win8 unless they register with Microsoft first. Which means that Minecraft will not work on Win8, since the creator of the game got into a snit and refused to license the game. He’ll likely come around eventually, but until then, Win8 is a complete non-starter for me.

I’m actually looking forward to the end of WinXP support. No more annoying updates!! And the lack of support for a legacy O/S that nobody uses anymore shouldn’t be a problem; after all, nobody writes viruses for DOS 6.2 anymore, do they?

Yup. Learned it. Learned I hated it. Learned to make it the way I liked. :stuck_out_tongue:

Windows 8 sucks as an OS for a desktop PC. It is made for touch screen applications.

Turn the PC on. First you get some placemat screen where you need to find the little computer icon, click that and you get the Windows/Metrosexual screen or whatever it’s called, then click on the desktop tile and you are right where you should have been by just turning the machine on.

You want to turn it off? Ha! Ha! Move your mouse to either the upper or lower right corner of the screen, a hidden menu will slide out, select ‘settings’ then at the bottom you will see a power button/icon. Why does it only take 4 steps to turn it off? Why not 8 or 10? That handy slide out menu comes out every time you go to the top right corner to hit the red X to close a window too. Did you want the slide out menu or the red X?? Ha!, Ha! we put them both in the exact same spot just to confuse the cursor.

You want easy access to your programs? Forget it. How about keeping some of the basic functionality of previous versions?

Oooh, look at the pretty tiles telling you what is trending on Bing! Just a complete piece of shit is Windows 8.

Yeah, you have an install of Win7 that was installed by a third party. I have a friend who has a Sony branded computer that has this “feature”. The OEM version (that doesn’t have any crapware on it) costs about $100 and is (and will be) available for the foreseeable does not have that stupid thing across the top.

Probably just by turning off and/or uninstalling whatever manufacturer installed crapware program is putting it there. It is not part of Windows 7. (Well, unless it is the taskbar, but I expect you know what the taskbar is, and are probably happy to be able to see it. Anyway, it is usually at the bottom by default, and it is easily moved or hidden.)