Windows becomes semi-cool (or Brian Eno's Penis)

I just found out that the startup sound for Windows was composed by… Brian Eno

Yep. Windows doesn’t suck as much as it used to.

For Windows 98 or for Windows ME?

Sorry in advance for the hijack, but I just got a new computer last night with Windows ME on it, and I think ME is much cooler than 98. Yes, it’s still total bloatware, but it seems to be much easier to use. I only had an hour or two to mess around with it last night, but I noticed that Network Neighborhood is much more useful (it has a search function that looks for specific computers or items on a network). Also, connecting the computer to my peer-to-peer network was a lot easier. I also noticed that ME comes with cooler software for editing photos and even has some software for managing digital video.

I wonder if Windows will eventually become…dare I say…cool?

He specificly did the Windows 95 sound. I believe he may have done 98 and ME also, that is simply speculation. An interview.

Q: How did you come to compose ``The Microsoft Sound’’?

A: The idea came up at the time when I was completely bereft of ideas.
I’d been working on my own music for a while and was quite lost, actually.
And I really appreciated someone coming along and saying, ``Here’s a
specific problem – solve it.’’

The thing from the agency said, We want a piece of music that is inspiring, universal, blah- blah, da-da-da, optimistic, futuristic, sentimental, emotional,'' this whole list of adjectives, and then at the bottom it said and it must be 3 1/4 seconds long.’’

I thought this was so funny and an amazing thought to actually try to make
a little piece of music. It’s like making a tiny little jewel.

In fact, I made 84 pieces. I got completely into this world of tiny, tiny
little pieces of music. I was so sensitive to microseconds at the end of
this that it really broke a logjam in my own work. Then when I’d finished
that and I went back to working with pieces that were like three minutes
long, it seemed like oceans of time.

I bet this thread would have 5 times as many hits if I titled it “brian eno’s penis”. that’s what i get for thinking you folks might want some actual information. :sigh:

I adore Eno!

:: scuttles off to Amazon to get the “Taking Tiger Mountain By Strategy” CD to replace worn-out (and missing) tape. ::

Yes, but it would have also be more popular if you didn’t have such a blatant and unbelievable lie for a title. Eno couldn’t even help.

Let’s see how it performs now.

I think it just needs 3.25 seconds of inspirational, universal music when you open it.

That is pretty cool, oldscratch.

Eno has way more work than I can pretend to be knowledgable on. I have spent many a Sunday morning, nursing a hangover in my living room, with a cup of coffee, a cig, and Music for Airports. There’s something just very right about that album.

Damn your funny UncleBeer.