Windows XP users problem

I have a PC running XP SP2 that shows some strange signs. First of all, for some reason there is the version of Windows at the lower right corner showing, similar to when the computer starts in safe mode.

Then there is a problem with user accounts. I installed Adobe Reader. The instalation went without a glitch. Then, when I tried to run it a message came up saying that the program at Program Files\Adobe\Eula.exe cannot run because the user has insufficient rights.

I navigated manually to the eula.exe and ran it with no problems. Then the Adobe Reader started but again complained for another file and insuficient rights.

I went to Control Panel and tried to open Users but it wouldn’t open.

What is wrong with this computer?

I don’t know the answer, but there is a hidden user Control Panel in XP, so maybe that’ll help.

Click Start -> Run, then type in “control userpasswords2” (without the quotes). That should pull up the thing. I’d then create a new Administrator account, and try logging in with that one.

I’d also point out that these symptoms are not inconsistent with malware. I’d do an offline virus scan if you can’t fix it with the above. It might not find anything, but it’s worth a shot. Here’s the one from Avira (my favorite antivirus).

Finally, once you do get things straightened out, I would suggest you move up to SP3. It really is better and more secure.