Windshield replacement - use my insurance?

In my experience this is basically true. But, call your insurance company and they may help you hook up with a company that will do the job. They may do some footwork for you. Glass replacement is one of the easier things to accomplish when dealing with the insurance companies.

The insurance company will hook you up with a glass replacement company that may actually come to you or your car (home, work, whaterver). You might think, “But I want to take it to the dealer and get an OEM windshield. I don’t want some cheap replacement.” Well, if you take it to the dealer they will have the same outfit the insurance company sent you to replace the windshield. Say you own a Toyota. The dealer isn’t having windshields shipped from Japan as spare parts. He’s using the local glass replacement company. Why? The windshield is just as good as the OEM glass. There are strict standards for the manufacture of these things. Rest easy!

I would be at least a little cautious especially if your glass has any electronics in it. Mine has a compass, and the cover for the cable came off after the work was done.
It is guaranteed, and I will call the glass company. I’m waiting to see if it gets any wind noise.
I honestly don’t remember what I paid.

Yes, you can have the glass replaced in Texas or anywhere else you happen to be travelling and the deductible will be waived. Also, with SC policies, the deductible for ALL automotive glass is waived, not just windshields as in most states. So you are covered for a door, back, vent, etc. as long as you carry comp/collision on the vehicle.

Vent? That little window that opens sideways, speciaaly made for smokers? I ain’t seen one of those in a while. Do some cars still have them?

Ha-ha that’s the one. They do still have 'em. Some in the front and sometimes in the back too.

Wow. When I had to have a side window replaced (due to someone throwing a rock through it), the glass company told me NOT to call the insurance company, since their charge was less than my deductible.

That just means you have to pay the full amount. I don’t know why they would object to you calling the insurance company. :confused:

Can you supply a cite for that?
I can tell you that if you come to my dealership and request an OEM windshield, you get an OEM windshield shipped from Europe.
I can also sell you a less expensive aftermarket replacement, but if you want OEM, at my dealership you will get OEM, no question about that.