Wish Me Luck...DETOX, Baby!

Good luck.

Remember that cliches don’t become cliches unless they’re true, and see what happens if you check out AA with an open mind.

twicks, sober for 23 years, 10 months, and 6 days through the 12 steps of AA

I wish you strength and peace.

Also, if you like the idea of AA but not the higher power stuff, there’s also Rational Recovery.

I went through a detox with my husband 2 weeks ago that was a nightmare but had a positive turn out. The detox clinic he went to wheeled him into a room and didn’t give him anything for the pain like Librium or Valium. Anyhow he walked out and walked many many miles home without alcohol or anything for it. So mAke sure you’re given something for your withdrawel symptoms. Thankfully our family doctor is an addiction doctor too so he got relief after we to see him. We were so hopeful about the facility and it failed him majorly.

He doesn’t believe in aa as well although he tried it and rational recovery as well was a positive experience but he went back to drinking after that as well.

I think now he is ready to stop bc he will loose his house and I’m fed up with the drinking binges in hotels to sleep. It’s a terible solution to sleep but when your desperate to sleep I guess you have few options.

Goodluck to you. I know what you family is feeling. Please make sure your detox clinic. Gives you something for the withdrawel if you need it.

Best wishes.

You will not lose your wit and “youness” when you become sober. If you do what it takes to recover (whichever path that takes, AA, not AA, whatever), you will lose the sickness and become the best you.

Best wishes to you. In terms of AA or not - whatever works for you is the right path. My uncle attended an AA meeting every day for the last 27 years of his life, my stepfather has been sober the same amount of time and has never attended a single one, so just figure out what you need to be clean and not what works for anyone else.

Best of luck to you, man. You’re an alright guy, despite your irrational love of the Bengals. :slight_smile:

Good on you for doing the right thing for yourself and your family. We’re all pulling for you, especially this [del]Ravens[/del] Ratbird fan.

Good luck man.

One thing that helped me a lot when I quit drinking beer was ice cream. At night, instead of drinking beer I ate a bowl of ice cream. You may find it helpful also.

My brother also says that when he quit, if he was out and about during the day and got a craving for beer, he’d stop in the store and get a Klondike bar.

I’ll be two years alcohol-free on Saturday. :slight_smile:

Good luck. I hope it’s ok to grin in a serious thread about a guy named FoieGrasIsEvil talking about saving his liver.

Good luck!!! It may not seem like much, but we are all here for you!

My grandfather did it without AA and my sister with AA.

The offer stands if you need someone to chat with I’ll be around no offence taken everyone deals differently.

Best of luck!

Do take full advantage of any aftercare they provide and keep an open mind (says an atheist/agnostic who goes to a lot of AA meetings.) Alcohol is sneaky as hell and, after you start feeling physically better, every molecule in your brain is going to be telling you that you’re fixed now and a little drink won’t hurt. Detox is the easy part.

Good luck, FGIE!

It may be hard for you to imagine now, but you will come to cherish your sobriety. I used to wonder why recovering alcoholics celebrate their anniversaries the way they do, but now I totally get it. Every day you wake up feeling better than you did the night before is a gift.

And be prepared to spend some of the money you save on beer on a new wardrobe. You are going to lose weight. A lot of weight.

From one Bengals fan to another. good luck.

Best of Luck FGIE!!

How long is Detox? Is it true it is no-smoking, no-choclate, no-nothing? Where is it Out in the country someplace? I would love to learn more about it.

But first things first, work at it and dry out. We are all pulling for you!

Good luck, my virtual friend.

Festivus, schmestivus … I’m praying to Og, as all good Dopers should!

Good luck FGiE! You can do it!

The medical part only takes about a week. I did it in a hospital (open ward–I could have left any time I wanted) and people were allowed to smoke. Some programs don’t allow caffeine, but we were positively encouraged to eat sweets and the food in general was plentiful. I did not lose weight–quite the contrary. This was a pretty cushy program, thanks to my insurance.

A lot a programs seem to be phasing out smoking, though. It used to be thought that quitting smoking at the same time was too hard, but newer research seems to suggest that smokers are more likely to relapse. I think the idea is that smoking keeps the addictive channels in your brain more active. One description I heard is that having a cigarette while you are trying to quit other drugs is like picking the scab off a healing sore.

May you find your strength…